Rumoured: MS to have Blu-Ray 360; Early as May - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-18-2008, 12:39 AM

Default Rumoured: MS to have Blu-Ray 360; Early as May

Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu ray over Toshiba’s HD DVD.
Insiders at Microsoft in the USA have told SmartHouse that Microsoft have already configured a standalone Blu ray player that can be connected into an Xbox 360 and that subject to internal marketing and sales approvals the model could be on sale within 3 months.

The Company has also been working on a built in Blu ray player however insiders are claiming that Microsoft see the HD format battle moving online with consumers offered 1080p movie and content files as a download as opposed to having to buy a HD or Blu ray DVD.

Both Intel and Microsoft have been supporters of the HD DVD format that is set to be killed off this week.

The Company has also held discussions with several OEM manufacturers of media centres with nearly all of them telling the software Company that they are set to move to Blu ray configured Media Centres within the next month.

Late last week US Media Centre maker Niveus dumped HD DVD in favour of Blu ray.
The Company VP of marketing Brian Paper said that Niveus had received support from Microsoft and Intel when implementing HD DVD. The format wasn't pushed on Niveus, he said, adding that the commitment in both Intel and Microsoft "isn't religious For HD DVD".

I can't post the link because I don't have 10 posts, but it was from an australian news source; SMARTHOUSE
Old 02-18-2008, 01:02 AM

http://www.smarthouse.com.au/Gaming/Console/J7L7H2R4
Old 02-18-2008, 01:14 AM

This will not happen. Even if it did it would take much, much longer to plan, write the code for and test such a system.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:12 AM

So you think that Microsoft "just" decided to do this, if it is true? They have probably had this in the proverbial back pocket for a while now. Just like a newspaper obituary, these things are prepared waaaaaay in advance. I only hope that they do come out with a blu-ray add on because I don't want to have to buy a PS3. Nothing against it, but if I can get an add-on for a couple hundred bucks, then I am there.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamanNY View Post
Color me ignorant...

But why would Sony give up the lucrative console lead by delaying the to include (which they were criticized for, only to turn out to be the deciding factor IMO) then when they win Microsoft asks nicely and they give up their ace in the hole and allow to play ???

Besides the obvious financial implications, the add-on is commercially flawed and can only give a bad name. Good luck trying to get all HiDef has to offer via a USB cable.
Is there some backroom deal/partnership that MS had that we dont know about... that is the only reasonable explanation!
Old 02-18-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher View Post
This will not happen. Even if it did it would take much, much longer to plan, write the code for and test such a system.
Why in the world would it take much, much longer than 3 months for Microsoft (the biggest software company in the world) to come up with a way to bring Blu-ray to the XBox 360?
Old 02-18-2008, 04:36 AM

Blu-Ray with HDMI 1.2...not selling my PS3 unless you give me HDMI 1.3
Old 02-18-2008, 09:00 AM

I would imagine this would stop alot of Xbox 360 fans from buying a PS3. I know I wouldn't have bought a PS3 around launch if an Xbox 360 add of Blu-ray was avalible. I imagine there are 100,000s of Xbox 360 fans who would buy one instead of paying 400 bucks for a PS3 or standalone Blu-ray player.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:20 PM

I hope this is true, so I can have both the HDDVD add-on and the Blu-ray add-on. I can't imagine it being less than $200 though.