Analog or Digital connection to non HDMI receiver - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:15 PM
johnlt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 434
Default Analog or Digital connection to non HDMI receiver

I am currently using a Elite BDP 94 HD connected to my Elite receiver via digital fiberoptic (receiver does not have HDMI) should i be using the multichannel analog to receive better sound quality? I have read alot in these forums but none has addressed this issue as far as i know. My current setup sounds great, but always looking to get the best with the gear i own. Buying a HDMI receiver as of now is not an option.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-17-2008, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

You know, I was about to answer your question for you, but then I remembered your the guy that was a dick to me in the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
Open forms are for opinions and fun i have no personal problems with anyone or there views. Mine just happen to be different from yours. Thats what makes this site and the world great.
Agreed. And you should be using your analog outs. Your player will decode Dolby TrueHD and PCM audio and send them through your analog outs. This way you get lossless audio you can't get through your digital cable.

And you might be alright afterall, but Belichick is still a douche.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2008, 02:57 PM
johnlt's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
Agreed. And you should be using your analog outs. Your player will decode Dolby TrueHD and PCM audio and send them through your analog outs. This way you get lossless audio you can't get through your digital cable.

And you might be alright afterall, but Belichick is still a douche.
thanx for the info. i will wprk on that today. as for BB he is a bit on the harsh side (OR A DOUCHE) BUT WE LIKE THE 3 SUPERBOWL wins he has given us .again thanx
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-17-2008, 05:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 33
Default

Connect the blu-ray player and the receiver both ways if you can to get PCM analog and bitstream sound. Depending on the blu-ray title, simply switch your receiver accordingly. Choose PCM analog when the movie title has that option; otherwise, choose digital bitstream for all other blu-ray movies.

I'm assuming your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs and digital coax and/or fibre optic inputs.

You will need to select the appropriate audio option on the movie setup menu to match your receiver input.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
thanx for the info. i will wprk on that today. as for BB he is a bit on the harsh side (OR A DOUCHE) BUT WE LIKE THE 3 SUPERBOWL wins he has given us .again thanx
Hey, never said he wasn't a good coach, just can't stand the guy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisking View Post
Connect the blu-ray player and the receiver both ways if you can to get PCM analog and bitstream sound. Depending on the blu-ray title, simply switch your receiver accordingly. Choose PCM analog when the movie title has that option; otherwise, choose digital bitstream for all other blu-ray movies.

I'm assuming your receiver has multi-channel analog inputs and digital coax and/or fibre optic inputs.

You will need to select the appropriate audio option on the movie setup menu to match your receiver input.
There is absolutely no reason to do this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 33
Default

I connect both ways so that I can take advantage of PCM uncompressed audio for some Blu-ray titles while the remaining Blu-ray titles that are either DTS or Dolby Digital are sent via digital coax to my receiver.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisking View Post
I connect both ways so that I can take advantage of PCM uncompressed audio for some Blu-ray titles while the remaining Blu-ray titles that are either DTS or Dolby Digital are sent via digital coax to my receiver.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm saying that it's pointless.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 33
Default

Pointless, how so ??

Clearly, when available the uncompressed PCM sounds superior to regular DTS or Dolby Digital.

Why not take advantage of the improved sound ??
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help!! Buying a non-HDMI receiver now ok? eryck Home Theater Gear 4 02-15-2008 05:48 AM
PS3 + Optical or PC + 5.1 Analog to receiver? cmdrdredd Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 4 01-05-2008 11:16 AM
DVD audio optical out to 5.1 analog in (to receiver) 77 vette Home Theater Gear 4 01-03-2008 06:04 PM
Non-Poll: Broadband connection to HD player results jcc General Discussion: Both Formats 2 10-20-2007 04:33 PM
How to setup my Bluray to enjoy HD sound using Analog Outputs to my receiver? charolin Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 2 09-14-2007 12:47 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off