TrueHD and DTS HD if you have the right set up - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2008, 01:49 AM

Default TrueHD and DTS HD if you have the right set up

Correct me if I am wrong but...I have a Panasonic BD30 and picked up the Onkyo 605 receiver which is supposed to do TrueHD and DTS HD but I came across a glitch.Those formats would not be supported in a 5.1 setting (which is what I have)I was able to access other settings but from my understanding would need a 7.1 set up.The BD50 will have TrueHD and DTS HD decoders built in,but I am guessing would still need to go 7.1 for it to work.
Anybody else out there come across this ?
Also...if you happen to get a Harman Kardon receiver it does not do HDMI audio.You still need to go Toslink or 5.1 analog cables.

....and I returned the Onkyo and got my money back until I decide what I am going to do.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 AM

I believe the 605 will as long as you have HDMI, but will not on the Optical. I use HDMI and definately can tell the difference vs Optical when playing them. The HDMI is much better. I also have a 5.1 setup
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 AM

if you can do 7.1 you can do 5.1.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM

umm i had the onkyo 605 (now the 805) and it worked flawlessly with the Panasonic BD30. In the BD 30 did you go into the audio settings and change all of the codecs to bitstream instead of PCM? Are you hooked up by HDMI? of you did these things your receiver should light up with the track that's playing.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Alright audiophiles, I need some help. I'm looking to get a new receiver but I'm not sure which one to go with. I mainly want a new one for two reasons:
1) Lossless audio formats - DTS-HD and Dolby HD
2) Consolidate all my cables and have one cable going to my TV (my entertainment center is a mess right now with a PS3, Xbox, Wii, HD A30, player, and Direct TV DVR all hooked up to my TV.

Now, I know I can pretty much get number 2 by getting a receiver with 3 or more HDMI inputs. However, how can I ensure I get number 1? I am very confused by the way players can deliver the lossless formats (i.e. bitstream vs. PCM). I don't really know what that means. I believe the PS3 can only output Dolby-HD but I also hear there may be a firmware update for it to be able to output DTS-HD. If I get the right reviever though, is the PS3's ability to output these audio formats even necessary? How can I ensure I get the new audio formats by purchasing the right receiver? What receiver do you suggest?

Thanks guys

Last edited by Blu-Balls; 02-17-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Balls View Post
Alright audiophiles, I need some help. I'm looking to get a new receiver but I'm not sure which one to go with. I mainly want a new one for two reasons:
1) Lossless audio formats - DTS-HD and Dolby HD
2) Consolidate all my cables and have one cable going to my TV (my entertainment center is a mess right now with a PS3, Xbox, Wii, HD A30, player, and Direct TV DVR all hooked up to my TV.

Now, I know I can pretty much get number 2 by getting a receiver with 3 or more HDMI inputs. However, how can I ensure I get number 1? I am very confused by the way players can deliver the lossless formats (i.e. bitstream vs. PCM). I don't really know what that means. I believe the PS3 can only output Dolby-HD but I also hear there may be a firmware update for it to be able to output DTS-HD. If I get the right reviever though, is the PS3's ability to output these audio formats even necessary? How can I ensure I get the new audio formats by purchasing the right receiver? What receiver do you suggest?

Thanks guys
Onkyo 705

-cheez avenger
Old 02-18-2008, 10:56 AM

Ditto, Onkyo 705. You get everything youre looking for and more. It even comes in a "professional" model thats rackable.

Bitstream sends the coded (DD, DTS, etc.) audio signal raw (unconverted, undecoded) to the receiver for decoding into Pulse Code Modulation (a digital rendition of an analog signal/waveform) and then, in the receiver, its converted by DACs (digital to analog convertors) so that it will play over your speakers. Some players have built in decoders that can send a decoded PCM signal to the receiver's DACs for conversion (ideal for people with older receivers that dont have decoders). The PS3 has a built-in decoder and sends Dolby TrueHD out already converted to PCM.

Last edited by JPSomner; 02-18-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Denon 4308 does it all.HDMI-4 in 2 out.Built in decoders.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:48 AM

Don't forget for Dolby True HD, or DTS MA HD you can only use HDMI 1.3a and cables that support 1.3a, optical audio does not support the bandwidth required for that audio codec.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Whats the deal with 1.3a HDMI cables? I thought that was just a sales gimmick.