So when will we start seeing region-free blu-ray players? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-12-2008, 12:06 PM

Default So when will we start seeing region-free blu-ray players?

As much as I enjoy my PS3, I also enjoy the fact that I can (and do) import HD-DVDs from anywhere and not worry that I can play them.

Not so much with Blu-Ray.

It's the one aspect of Blu-Ray that has kept me championing HD-DVD. I want to be able to import and watch what I want, not what big brother says I should be permitted to watch.

Are any of the current crop of BR standalones region defeatable? If not, are there any players on the horizon that are touted to be?

I know that with standard DVD players, the "big name" brand players released here in the U.S. (Sony, Pioneer, Toshiba, Panasonic, etc.) for the most part have been region locked. It's been the Asian "off-brand" players that have had easily-accessible region defeats, either through remote codes or firmware hacks.

The whole "region lockdown" thing seems to be much bigger here in the U.S. (because of the MPAA I'm sure). If you browse through UK audiophile magazines, region-free DVD players are ubiquitous and can openly be ordered from most vendors.

Whereas we in the U.S. get hosed.

So what's out there for those of us who like importing titles?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:42 PM

It's not just the off brand DVD players that can be unlocked. Tosh, Denon, Panny, JVC, and Yamaha all have players that can be unlocked quite easily, and have PAL to NTSC conversion.

Denon top players from the 1930 to the really expensive 5900 can all be unlocked with simple remote codes. Heck, my Philips 963SA which was $400 when it came out was easy to unlock, and to make upconvert to 1080i over component.

I hope it will just be a matter of time....a region unlocked for SD and BD player that will do good PAL to NTSC conversion is my idea of a dream machine.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Multiregional (not region"free" since it only plays 2 regions) Blu-Ray players are already here.

Check this out: https://www.dvdirect.net/
Old 02-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Multi region is consumer friendly but not studios. I really think that's one of the reason why studio chose BD over HD-DVD.
A lot of movies that's out on BD here in the state still not playing in theater yet oversea except major cites.

I'm pretty sure they'll be region free Bluray player in the near future but definitely not from Sony. Same as DVD players when it first came out people were looking for region free and a year later there's region free players everywhere.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM

Is there actually a separate pal or ntsc encode to either SD or HD media types? Isnt it all in the player? That's why SD-DVD players could play ostensibly "PAL" titles... because the encode is display system neutral.

Or I am totally out to lunch?
Old 02-13-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan View Post
Multiregional (not region"free" since it only plays 2 regions) Blu-Ray players are already here.

Check this out: https://www.dvdirect.net/
Wow

Thats good to see, shame its in Sweden

The pricing is quite expensive for the players with mods, be interesting to see how these mods hold up what with new players coming out having regular software updates
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalodger View Post
Wow

Thats good to see, shame its in Sweden

The pricing is quite expensive for the players with mods, be interesting to see how these mods hold up what with new players coming out having regular software updates
As they write on their website "ICOS modifierad uppgraderbar Multi region"... which means that the player is upgradable. This won't affect the regional mod.
They do ship orders to other countries. From what I can tell, it will cost around $55. That aint too bad.

xwingsct:
As you can see on that link I posted, Sony players can in fact be modified to play multi-region.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:52 PM

There may be a remote hack for the Samsung BDP 1400 to play region free. I am looking into it now...
Old 02-14-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed081873 View Post
There may be a remote hack for the Samsung BDP 1400 to play region free. I am looking into it now...
Awesome!! Please post a comment if you discover anything interesting.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:16 PM

try this...

This has worked on a Region 4 Player to maker the Standard DVD region Free, it will NOT Multi-zone it for Blu-ray Discs.

1. Make sure the player is switched on, and is at the Samsung logo screen.

2. Also check the tray is shut and that there's no disc in the player.

3. Now press the REPEAT button on the remote, followed by a five digit code.

4. This code is different depending on what region your player is *currently* set to: R1 - 29334 R2 - 38767 R3 - 56732 R4 - 76884 R5 - 53814 R6 - 24462 So for example if you have an R2 player, press REPEAT-3-8-7-6-7.

5. If you've done this correctly (and your player is compatible with the hack), you should see a number at the top left corner of the screen corresponding to the current region.

6. Now, pressing any number from 1 to 6 will change to the corresponding region. Or, press 9 for "auto-region" mode.

7. Next, press OPEN/CLOSE to open the tray, followed by Standby (or DVD POWER) on the remote to close it and put the player into Standby mode.

8. The next time you turn your player on, the new region will be set. Don't forget that if you want to hack it again, you'll need to use a different code, as listed above. If it's currently set to "region 9", use the code for the last *proper* region you set it to.

or this...

Multi-Region on a Samsung BD-P1000 R2:
1. Switch on unit
2. Remove any disc
3. Wait fo NO DISC message
4. Press REPEAT on the remote control (NOT REPEAT A-B)
5. Type 57538 followed by the desired region number on the remote control
NOTE: 9 = Multi Region mode
6. Press OPEN/CLOSE on the remote control
Switch unit off
7. Enjoy :0)