HD DVD convert wondering what player should I buy? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-12-2008, 01:22 AM

Default HD DVD convert wondering what player should I buy?

I have only watched HD DVDs to this point. I'm quite fond of them, but it's clear to me that Blu-Ray actually knew basic marketing and this battle is just about over. I would like to get a Blu-Ray player, simply because I am continually frustrated by the titles I cannot get via Netflix (or anywhere) when I search.

I do not understand this 2.0 profile, 1.1, 1.0, etc. stuff at all. What is the importance of the profile?

From what I understand, only the PS3 has the 2.0 ability right now, if I'm correct about that? But I hear the PS3 has poor surround sound capability, if I'm understanding correctly. I actually don't care much about that, as I've not invested in surround sound to this point and I'll take picture over sound any day of the week.

So, if I want a Blu-Ray player somewhere in the ballpark of $400 or less and want to make sure it's not obsolete anytime soon, what are my options?

Thanks for your help. I'm not knowledgeable on these things.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:47 AM

Your only option is the PS3 my friend...Its the only upgradeable player, Top ranked in quality for Blu-rays, and is one of the cheapest.

Thats why i got one and I'm and XBox360 nut! As much as I didn't want to support the Playstation brand-Blu-ray is winning and at $400 the PS3 cannot be ignored.

Hell as an added bonus it plays games on and offline too. Not many games right now but if Movies are your priority then the games is just a bonus isn't it?
Old 02-12-2008, 02:35 AM

The PS3 is what you want. Ideally you'll have an HDMI receiver to mate it with, otherwise you're restricted to what you can pump over an optical digital cable as it doesn't have analogue outputs. If you have HDMI, there's very little you can't do with it (DTS-HD MA won't work at full quality, 'only' at 1.5Mbps which sounds great to my ears - and this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update down the line).
Old 02-12-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCstillmatic View Post
Your only option is the PS3 my friend...Its the only upgradeable player, Top ranked in quality for Blu-rays, and is one of the cheapest.

Thats why i got one and I'm and XBox360 nut! As much as I didn't want to support the Playstation brand-Blu-ray is winning and at $400 the PS3 cannot be ignored.

Hell as an added bonus it plays games on and offline too. Not many games right now but if Movies are your priority then the games is just a bonus isn't it?
I wondered how big of a factor the upgradeability is. I still don't understand this 2.0 thing.

I'm not a huge gamer, probably only playing my 360 once a month or so. However, there is the occasional title that catches my eye. For example, I'm dying for GTA 360 to come out in a couple months and I'll be hooked on it for a little while. Then I'll not touch it for weeks, when the novelty wears off. Still, the dual function as a gaming console is a small factor, but if I were getting a better player by buying a stand-alone unit, I'd do it.

As for the Sony brand, I don't have a real beef in the fight. I think Sony stuff is typically good quality, though priced high. I was a little perturbed by the arrogant comments about Americans getting a second job for the PS3. IMO, there is every reason why HD DVD would be the ideal platform, but the fact of the matter is Sony pretty much won. I can't begrudge Sony for Toshiba's terrible marketing plan.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
The PS3 is what you want. Ideally you'll have an HDMI receiver to mate it with, otherwise you're restricted to what you can pump over an optical digital cable as it doesn't have analogue outputs. If you have HDMI, there's very little you can't do with it (DTS-HD MA won't work at full quality, 'only' at 1.5Mbps which sounds great to my ears - and this is something that can be fixed with a firmware update down the line).
As far as I know, I have a second HDMI input on my Mitsubishi TV. I don't have any secondary receiver box of any kind.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default the panny 10a

I have 2 of them..they are just great..built in decoders for dolby true and dts masters..analog outs..the whole deal..have an a2 and an a3..so both my set ups allow me to watch both formats..there are nice close out prices on the 10a...or look on ebay..someone here is selling one too...no issues in playback of any sort with all new releases on blu ray
Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Banned

Default link to sale here

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=42362

this guy is selling one and price is negotiable
Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 PM

I like my Samsung BDP 1400 a lot. It has not given my ONE single problem. Of course I did every firmware update. It is even my choice for Upconversion as well. Stunning picture!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:45 PM

Here is a breakdown of the profiles:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...Explained/1186

You can find a list of available Blu-ray players here for a decent price:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_fq__a...2Aentries%2A=0

There are also a number of newer models of players coming out this year from most of those manufacturers and others. All of which will be at least profile 1.1 compliant, and some even profile 2.0.

The PS3 is a great Blu-ray player right now, and hopefully will get better, but does have some audio drawbacks. With any luck, the new players coming out this year will match it or pass it up in most aspects.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamadeus View Post
Here is a breakdown of the profiles:
That helps shed some light, but it lists the PS3 as 1.1 and I thought others here stated the PS3 is 2.0?

I find this to be inconvenient, and a reason why I wish HD DVD would have taken off, but I acknowledge defeat.

Quote:
The PS3 is a great Blu-ray player right now, and hopefully will get better, but does have some audio drawbacks. With any luck, the new players coming out this year will match it or pass it up in most aspects.
I'm leaning towards a PS3. More people sing its praises than any other Blu-Ray player, from what I've seen here. I'm sure better players are coming out, but I was looking to spend like $400 maximum, so I really can't see waiting on their release, as they'll likely be $500+.