Clipping Audio DTS Master??? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Clipping Audio DTS Master???

I have a BD30 and have noticed something strange. I have no peaking/clipping problems with LPCM but on movies with DTS Master I get clipping through the center channel. The only way to describe it is a peaking sound when volume raised (someone screams or yells) does anyone else notice this? Could this just be bad mixing. The latest example was on Me Myself and Irene.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:39 AM
analog/digital audio expert

If it is a function of your playback level, it is NOT in the mix, it's downstream in your system. If it were in the mix, you'd hear a digital clip at any level.

It is possible that the absolute digital output is higher than for PCM, and maybe your center channel gain is set high, causing the processors in your Denon to run out of digital "headroom." This doesn't seem likely to me, but you could test it by reducing the output of EVERY channel by something dramatic like 6db.

If you hear the clip at only loud levels but this doesn't help, I don't have other ideas (unless you are clipping your amp because it's getting more dynamic range fed to it? If that is the case, try using a more efficient center channel speaker)
Old 02-17-2008, 02:33 PM

Thank you for your help. It's just strange to me that it's not on PCM but on many other codecs. It does happen at any sound level so this is strange. My center channel is supposed to be pretty decent. I am at a loss.