Elite 94HD or PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Default Elite 94HD or PS3

I currently own a pioneer elite bdp94hd with firm ware updates. I was thinking of selling it and getting a PS3 as i have been told it is more updateable than the pioneer and has faster load times. any advice for me?
Old 02-09-2008, 12:45 PM

Do your homework, PS3 has no support for DolbyTrueHD, or DTSHD MA.
If the latest audio codecs mean anything to you, and they must since you bought the 94, I'd wait till this summer for the Elite BDP-05.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlt View Post
I currently own a pioneer elite bdp94hd with firm ware updates. I was thinking of selling it and getting a PS3 as i have been told it is more updateable than the pioneer and has faster load times. any advice for me?
Haha...Check out my thread in the blu-ray trade section. The copy of Superman Returns that came with your player is going for some outrageous $$$. It'd help pay for the upgrade
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
If the latest audio codecs mean anything to you, and they must since you bought the 94, I'd wait till this summer for the Elite BDP-05.
The PS3 supports and plays DolbyTrueHD through PCM. However it does not Bitstream DTSHD MA and Dolby TrueHD.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Regarding the PS3 playing True Dolby HD, Sony says my BDP-S1 also decoded it, but my receiver will never show it, as mine has the latest decoders, so how do you know it's playing if it only show's Dolby Digital.
Now on my new Pioneer BDP-95FD, my receiver shows Dolby True HD, so I choose to believe what I can see and hear.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Regarding the PS3 playing True Dolby HD, Sony says my BDP-S1 also decoded it, but my receiver will never show it, as mine has the latest decoders, so how do you know it's playing if it only show's Dolby Digital.
Now on my new Pioneer BDP-95FD, my receiver shows Dolby True HD, so I choose to believe what I can see and hear.
The PS3 decodes TrueHD to PCM. If you had your settings correct(which obviously you didn't) you would have seen PCM on your reciever. And then if you hit display on the PS3 it would have shown that it was the TrueHD track...amazing isn't it? It however only gives 1.5mbps DTS when there is a DTS-HD MA track. Please don't post in the hardware sections when people are asking for help if you don't know what you're talking about.

Now as to the OP...This depends on your receiver mainly. The 94 decodes trueHD but not DTS-HD MA(Just like the PS3) It can however bitstream both to a capable receiver.So if you have an HDMI 1.3 receiver stick with your 94. If you have an HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 you could really go either way. And if you have no HDMI but you have analogs on your receiver stick with the 94 as you could use the analogs to get TrueHD.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:01 AM

thanx for all the info guys. i think i will stick with my Elite. after all it was retail 900 and i got it for 450.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
The PS3 decodes TrueHD to PCM. If you had your settings correct(which obviously you didn't) you would have seen PCM on your reciever. And then if you hit display on the PS3 it would have shown that it was the TrueHD track...amazing isn't it? It however only gives 1.5mbps DTS when there is a DTS-HD MA track. Please don't post in the hardware sections when people are asking for help if you don't know what you're talking about.
See I come to this site to get informed, sometimes give my input, I could be wrong, but with stupid remarks like this, you wonder why even worth posting. You could have just said nothing. He mentions that he likes to see on his receiver what codec is being played, and you come out with ..... your not worth talking about.

Oh by the way, I like seeing what codec is being played on my receiver too, and I can't get that with the PS3 (at least not yet), oh sorry, yes I can, I can put it on the screen, but then I can't watch my movie properly.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:49 PM

I know it's not on your list but I would recomment the Pioneer Elite 95HD.

It bitstreams the advanced codecs including DTS-HD MA. Once you hear the richer & fuller sound you'll never want to go back.

You're familiar with the quality of the picture if you have a 94. The Pioneer Elite's have still been rated as the best picture quality.

Or you can wait until Pioneer Elite comes out with their 2.0 player by the end of the year.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiterek View Post
See I come to this site to get informed, sometimes give my input, I could be wrong, but with stupid remarks like this, you wonder why even worth posting. You could have just said nothing. He mentions that he likes to see on his receiver what codec is being played, and you come out with ..... your not worth talking about.

Oh by the way, I like seeing what codec is being played on my receiver too, and I can't get that with the PS3 (at least not yet), oh sorry, yes I can, I can put it on the screen, but then I can't watch my movie properly.
By all means post. But DON'T post false information. It is a pet peeve of mine ESPECIALLY when it's such commonly known info as codecs the PS3 deals with. I don't see anywhere where he says he likes to see on his receiver what codec is being played.

this is the kind of thing i HATE seeing. If you don't understand why it is a problem to see this then i don't know what to say to you.
Quote: