Samsung Sued Over Defective Blu-ray Players - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

Default Samsung Sued Over Defective Blu-ray Players

http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/0...uRayNewark.pdf

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...g-sued-ov.html

I am against most lawsuits. If the product does not work it should be taken back to the store or sold. There are to many lawsuits filed.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:26 PM

I am for the most part against lawsuits also, but alot of people bought these players for a good amount of money and discs didnt start coming out until months after alot of people bought them... I dont see how you could return it to the store and why shoud they have had to sell them for a loss? This is an insance where samsung should stand behind their product. They dont even keep up with firmware updates until cnet started pressing them for info... maybe people will get better support for their units in the near future from samsung.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
http://www.courthousenews.com/2008/0...uRayNewark.pdf

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/...g-sued-ov.html

I am against most lawsuits. If the product does not work it should be taken back to the store or sold. There are to many lawsuits filed.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboar View Post
I am for the most part against lawsuits also, but alot of people bought these players for a good amount of money and discs didnt start coming out until months after alot of people bought them... I dont see how you could return it to the store and why shoud they have had to sell them for a loss? This is an insance where samsung should stand behind their product. They dont even keep up with firmware updates until cnet started pressing them for info... maybe people will get better support for their units in the near future from samsung.....
Here's the rub, though: How long should Samsung be expected to support discontinued products? Everyone likes to blame Samsung, but if the movie studios would stop mucking about and changing things, there wouldn't be a need for constant firmware updates.

There's no incentive for Samsung to provide firmware updates to a discontinued model, and the movie studios seems to love to constantly change the codecs on their newer discs (newer BD-J, BD+ DRM, etc.), thus necessiating a new firmware update, that Samsung has to pay for. Small wonder that Samsung is tired of this firmware update game.

As consumers though, we are really stuck in the middle here. We buy Blu-Ray discs, come home and then they don't work in our Blu-Ray player. The studios and CE's need to work this out, because the only way HDM will take off is if it works pretty much like DVD (and VHS): you stick the disc in and it plays.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:19 AM

Once a product is sold, the company has absolutely no requirement for future fixes. They're doing it simply as a favour to its conusmers. The lawsuit won't fly. However, it benefits Samsung to make their customers happy, though, as it encourages future business.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Here's the rub, though: How long should Samsung be expected to support discontinued products?
I think the players should be supported for at least 1 to 2 years with firmware updates. The player listed in the lawsuit is not even a year old yet. Samsung on the other hand releases a new player about every 6 months, hence the 1200 is an older model now.

At the price that this player and many other sell for (about $500 or more when released) less than 1 year of support is completely insane, while 2 years of support seems right to me.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 AM

it dont agree at all with that... I can get out my 8 yr old dvd player and still play any dvd in it. but I cant play a new bluray movie at all. My 1200 isnt even out of warranty yet, but you think they should be able to just say the hell with everyone???
If its the studios fault, well for all I care samsung can go after them... If you pay 500+ for something, I think the company should stand behind it....how would if go over if you bought a new care, it was still under warranty, but it would no longer run... then the mfg told you sorry we dont support that vehicle anymore....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
Here's the rub, though: How long should Samsung be expected to support discontinued products? Everyone likes to blame Samsung, but if the movie studios would stop mucking about and changing things, there wouldn't be a need for constant firmware updates.

There's no incentive for Samsung to provide firmware updates to a discontinued model, and the movie studios seems to love to constantly change the codecs on their newer discs (newer BD-J, BD+ DRM, etc.), thus necessiating a new firmware update, that Samsung has to pay for. Small wonder that Samsung is tired of this firmware update game.

As consumers though, we are really stuck in the middle here. We buy Blu-Ray discs, come home and then they don't work in our Blu-Ray player. The studios and CE's need to work this out, because the only way HDM will take off is if it works pretty much like DVD (and VHS): you stick the disc in and it plays.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Banned

Default bought mine in september

by October the new releases were a problem....they have my player and offered me a refund..still waiting for my money..if not this week ...will call MC to remove charge...as much as I am pissed at Samsuck..I agree the issue lies with Fox, Disney, Lionsgate..and the other studios that released those long loading piece of crap discs....Warner bro's new releases had no issues on BD why should the other guys make discs that way..just for the features..crap..all I want is to watch the movie
Old 02-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Really the whole thing is stupid, I mean BD players are experimental/beta products as far as 1.0 profile they are just not listed that way. The BD spec at 1.1 is listed as final though it really isn't as we still have 2.0. So when you have no firm spec you can not have faith that it will work in the future.

Is this the buyers fault, no but it is what it is and it sucks. Don't take this as a HD-DVD supporter rant or flame it's not, I have both. It's just like using beta software to create documents and then when the final version is released the beta will not read them because something in the file spec was changed.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 PM

The player listed in the class action lawsuit is BD-O1200 so Samsung will probably just file a motion for summary judgment and request court fees. Samsung have never made a player with that model number.

Chris
Old 02-09-2008, 06:41 PM

In # 25 it is listed as you say, but in 11 it list it as the model (1200).