Samsung BD-P1000 New Firmware Issues - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Samsung BD-P1000 New Firmware Issues

Be warned BD-P1000 owners:

I upgraded my firmware to the latest (v. 1/4) a few days ago. Now, I am having playback issues on a few discs--namely "3:10 to Yuma", which played fine a few days before the upgrade. Now the bottom of the video is on the top and the top is on the bottom. The disc works perfectly once every six or seven times I put the disc in. Odd.

Also, all discs with uncompressed PCM mixes are messed up when sent through bitstream (never had this issue before). The front channels are in the back and back channels are in the front. I reset everything and even reinstalled the firmware and still had the issue. I can only assume they are the result of a bug in the firmware.

I called Samsung about the bugs, but I got an annoying hour-long run-around as no one there seemed to know what the heck I was talking about. One of the techs didn't even know what "3:10 to Yuma" was. He was like "3, 2, 1, Yeah?" I was supposed to get transfered to a high-level tech, but it never happened. I was hung up on every time.

If someone knows a better way to report the bug (a direct phone number, website or email link), let me know. I'd love to call and report it directly to someone who actually knows what the heck firmware is (most of the tech support "techs" had no idea what firmware was!?!).

I love the BD-P1000 and this is really the first time I've had an issue with that player (I bought the player 'used' so I didn't live though the initial playback issues with the player). At least I've got my PS3 to fall back on. It's my main player, but I still have a fondness for this set top player.

I've heard a few insider rumblings that this firmware wasn't so hot, but has anyone else experiencing issues like this with their firmware update?

Let me know....
Old 02-08-2008, 05:07 PM

I'll check out Yuma tonight, I haven't played it yet at all. I have played several discs with PCM though, and not had any problems at all since the update.

There's a fellow on AVS who lost his center channel function after this update. Very odd that different people are having lots of different results. I wonder if there may be some physical variants in the BD-P1000 based on it's build date.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Let me know what results you yield.

It's very strange. The PCM tracks work if I set the player to PCM and run the sound through Multi-In so it's definitely a problem the optical output and bitsream. But it's JUST PCM tracks givin' me the headache. Everything else works great--TrueHD, DTS, etc.

I'm particularly annoyed because Samsung was so unwilling to get me someone who knew a damn thing about firmware. I have two Blu-ray players but I'm sure most people don't and might be stuck with this slight mess that Samsung has created.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 PM

The difference there is that I don't use optical. My audio path is HDMI start to finish.

Customer support is always hit or miss. When you realize you aren't getting anywhere with the person you're talking to, ask for a supervisor. Eventually, you'll get a real tech. Odds are the person you're dealing with at first has never even seen a Blu-ray player.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:47 PM

I have an HDMI setup in the living room, but this one's in my office on an older receiver. It's worked fine in the past without error.

Regarding Samsung--Easier said, than done. That's exactly what I was doing, but it didn't work. They would literally hang up on me.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 AM

Like you skyliss, I'm a frustrated Sammy BD-P1000 owner. 1.4 is garbage. Some of my lastest movies don't play 100%. It's hit or miss. Have you tried Spider Man 3? That one won't play at all for me. I've pretty much given up on this unit. The good thing is that I live in NJ and not to far away from the Sammy building. I'm thinking of stopping by and throwing their product through the front glass door. It's a nicer way to say thank you for your support. It's also better then snapping and choking one of those bastards.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliss View Post
Be warned BD-P1000 owners:

I upgraded my firmware to the latest (v. 1/4) a few days ago. Now, I am having playback issues on a few discs--namely "3:10 to Yuma", which played fine a few days before the upgrade. Now the bottom of the video is on the top and the top is on the bottom. The disc works perfectly once every six or seven times I put the disc in. Odd.

Also, all discs with uncompressed PCM mixes are messed up when sent through bitstream (never had this issue before). The front channels are in the back and back channels are in the front. I reset everything and even reinstalled the firmware and still had the issue. I can only assume they are the result of a bug in the firmware.

I called Samsung about the bugs, but I got an annoying hour-long run-around as no one there seemed to know what the heck I was talking about. One of the techs didn't even know what "3:10 to Yuma" was. He was like "3, 2, 1, Yeah?" I was supposed to get transfered to a high-level tech, but it never happened. I was hung up on every time.

If someone knows a better way to report the bug (a direct phone number, website or email link), let me know. I'd love to call and report it directly to someone who actually knows what the heck firmware is (most of the tech support "techs" had no idea what firmware was!?!).

I love the BD-P1000 and this is really the first time I've had an issue with that player (I bought the player 'used' so I didn't live though the initial playback issues with the player). At least I've got my PS3 to fall back on. It's my main player, but I still have a fondness for this set top player.

I've heard a few insider rumblings that this firmware wasn't so hot, but has anyone else experiencing issues like this with their firmware update?

Let me know....
I think we should just go back to ver. 1.3 and wait for the next update.

Chris
Old 02-11-2008, 03:19 PM

Default Agreed

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I can't find my 1.3 disc anymore though.

I've noticed several issue with 1.4 (but none with v1.3) and it seems like there was no one at Samsung willing to put me through to the folks who directly worked on 1.4's firmware (wonder why--hehe).

I really love Blu-Ray, but Samsung can't make a player worth two spits. I wonder how I could get myself attached to that class action lawsuit.

At least Sony and Panasonic are churning out decent units.

Once this war is over it'll be nice to see what Toshiba does.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM

Hey guys. I can't find my 1.3 disk anywhere. If someone can post anywhere, it would be a great help. Checked Samsung firmware online but they delete the old stuff. If anyone can help, thanks.

Also, optic cable on mine does work fine for the disks that do work. Never used anything other than that. I don't think I ever had an issue with the audio section.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliss View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I can't find my 1.3 disc anymore though.

I've noticed several issue with 1.4 (but none with v1.3) and it seems like there was no one at Samsung willing to put me through to the folks who directly worked on 1.4's firmware (wonder why--hehe).

I really love Blu-Ray, but Samsung can't make a player worth two spits. I wonder how I could get myself attached to that class action lawsuit.

At least Sony and Panasonic are churning out decent units.

Once this war is over it'll be nice to see what Toshiba does.
Sony and Panasonic are doing a great job, everything plays in their first generation players as it should. I now own the BD-P1000 and BD-P1200 and the BD-P1000 at ver 1.3 is the better player, this firmware update sounds just pitiful, I am staying at 1.3 until Samsung gets it right. The BD-P1200 is absolutely awful at its current firmware version as well. Can't Sun Microsystems or somebody from the BDA help Samsung out of this mess?

Chris