Does anyone have the Philips BD Player?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-05-2007, 01:37 AM

Default Does anyone have the Philips BD Player??

I am thinking about getting it, if you have it please let me know if it is worth it.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:52 PM

I've had my Philips for several weeks now. Outstanding HD picture via either component or HDMI. (No SD DVD upconverting via the component, of course). I also have both the audio analog outputs and the optical output hooked up. I've played around 10 or 12 BDs on it and have never had any problems whatsoever. I've very pleased with it.

One thing that may affect your decision - the Philips doesn't separate the output selection (bitstream or PCM) of the HDMI and the optical/coax. If your TV can't accept bitstream audio over the HDMI, you'll get an error message. This didn't affect me, as I usually use the analog audio outputs.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim459 View Post
I've had my Philips for several weeks now. Outstanding HD picture via either component or HDMI. (No SD DVD upconverting via the component, of course). I also have both the audio analog outputs and the optical output hooked up. I've played around 10 or 12 BDs on it and have never had any problems whatsoever. I've very pleased with it.

One thing that may affect your decision - the Philips doesn't separate the output selection (bitstream or PCM) of the HDMI and the optical/coax. If your TV can't accept bitstream audio over the HDMI, you'll get an error message. This didn't affect me, as I usually use the analog audio outputs.
I do not have any sound system the GF does not allow that... ..LOL...I have a LG LCD HDTV I just use the standard speakers would they be affected by this sound "issue"?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM

If the only sound is going to be from the TV, then you can set the "Digital Audio" for PCM, and the Philips will send stereo sound over the HDMI cable to the TV, if you're using HDMI. If you're using the component cables for video, you can just hook up the analog stereo outputs of the Philips to your TV for sound.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 AM

I plan on getting this at some point this year. And I plan on getting a pioneer VSX1016TX reciever. So going HDMI hook ups their shouldn't be a problem. Personally if I get sound and it sounds good to me I'm not gonna complain.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:08 AM

Great player! There's a FIRMWARE UPDATE for this unit that improves Blu-ray disc compatibility and fixes issues with the CD playback via digital-out connections. I highly recommend this player.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:42 PM

Is there any truth to the rumor that you can actually unlock the Phillips to make it region free for SD DVDs?
Old 04-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Does anyone know if Philips has released additional firmware updates for this player, as I have already downloaded the one from January? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:55 PM

I have this player, bought in in January 07 through Amazon.com, only problem I have had with this player is with Disney, had to return King Arthur (got replacement), it kept freezing during the trailers, also froze on trailers on The Prestige, but movie played fine, have updated with Firmware, any ideas out there, let me know.