PS3 optical audio output problem - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Default PS3 optical audio output problem

Hey all!

I have had a PS3 for about a month now and am just getting around to hooking it up to my surround sound system (LG Home Theater in a Box). I have a problem though. My receiver says there is no signal coming from the PS3. It picks up the signal from the XBOX 360 I have hooked up. I tried EVERY imaginable combination of setups and setting tweaks but cant get the damn optical out on the PS3 to work. For video I am hooked up via HDMI and when I switch the audio out to optical I get nothing. No sound whatsoever. I have searched and searched and have seen stories of other people with this problem but they never seem, to post a definitive resolution. I know, I know, I should return it for another and hopefully it will work, but from what I can tell this is a quirk of the system not a defect. Please help!
Old 02-04-2008, 12:43 PM

My first thought is: go into the PS3 sound menu and manually set the optical to output DD and DTS as it does not do it automatically. If you've already done that: have you used the same wire and receiver input as with the 360?
Old 02-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I did check DD & DTS and saved the settings, still not registering on the receiver.

I did try the 360 cable because I too thought briefly it was because maybe I was using a bad cable. Not the case. Just to be extra sure I tried ALL my optical cables with the 360 and sound came through crystal clear.

Thanks again for the reply, please keep suggestions coming, I'm sure there is something I didnt think of.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:58 PM

if you havent already, make sure the ps3 audio has been selected to optical and audio is selected to bitstream. also like the above mentioned, hook up the cable to the same input as the 360 since you know that the reciever is set up correctly to that input. if your not usinig the same input on the reciever you may have to set the input to the selected component your using.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Formerly peterhefer1

It won't put out audio easily to two sources at the same time i.e. hdmi and optical, you need to switch the settings back and forth depending on what your listening from ( tv, or reciever ) there is a way of making both work, its' like holding down one button while pressing another, unplug replug and jump up and down or some shit lol.... I've seen people do it but it's really stupid that it's a friggin chore.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:30 AM

You have to set up your audio to "bitstream" and it'll work fine. I had a simiral problem where I'll get PCM audio on only 2 channel ONLY. Only after I changed the optical option to "bitstream" did I get DTS, and true 5.1 Dolby Digital.

Hope this helped.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:40 AM

Default Thanks Everybody!

Just wanted to thank all you guys (or gals?) for your help. I figured it out. I was doing all my testing on just the XMB which broadcasts the clicks of the menu individually and I guess my receiver couldnt pick up on them fast enough. However when I bothered to try a movie and game the constant stream of audio was picked up by the receiver. Sort of a weird quirk of the PS3 but I am nevertheless happy to have it working. I cant tell you how appreciative I am to have found a HD forum with so many helpful people willing to lend a hand. Ya'll rock! L8rz!