Lossless players atm? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-03-2007, 03:09 AM

Default Lossless players atm?

Which Bluray players are, at the moment, supporting lossless audio codecs out of their analog outs?
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 AM

its not even possible to get lossless audio out of analog because you need a digital connection if im not mistaken.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:46 AM

I believe you can, if the player has the ability to decode TrueHD by itself and send it to the 5.1 analog outputs.
At least at the home theatre gear forum here i was told so.
Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM

Most of the Blu-ray titles doing lossless audio I believe are using LPCM instead of TruHD. Since most of the stand alone players have analog out, I believe you should be able to pick one that meets your budget and be able to get lossless audio with the exception of the LG since I think it only does 2.1 out instead of 5.1.

As for the TruHD codec, only the PS3 can decode it at this time. Panasonic is promising a firmware release in April to allow their player to do the decoding.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

Panasonic and the PS3 now support the two TrueHD titles on Blu-ray.

All the other titles use lossless PCM which all the Blu-ray standalone players support through their analog outputs.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Panasonic and the PS3 now support the two TrueHD titles on Blu-ray.

All the other titles use lossless PCM which all the Blu-ray standalone players support through their analog outputs.
Now if only my Sony will do it...
Old 05-02-2007, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
its not even possible to get lossless audio out of analog because you need a digital connection if im not mistaken.
No lossless can be taken out through analog, just not on most players for Blu-ray. All of the HD-DVD players can internally decode TrueHD and then send it out through HDMI OR 5.1 analog audio if it has it. DTS on the other hand does require the digital connection. Thus why it is called DIGITAL Theater Systems. Regular DTS also always requires a digital connection as well.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by resevilfan86 View Post
No lossless can be taken out through analog, just not on most players for Blu-ray. All of the HD-DVD players can internally decode TrueHD and then send it out through HDMI OR 5.1 analog audio if it has it. DTS on the other hand does require the digital connection. Thus why it is called DIGITAL Theater Systems. Regular DTS also always requires a digital connection as well.
No you're incorrect, DTS does not require a digital connection.
DTS can be output through analog as PCM, much in the same way that Dolby can.
I have an SACD/DVD-Audio player. I have to output both through analog as PCM. I can also listen to any of my Dolby and DTS 5.1 tracks through PCM and/or DTS 96/24 tracks.
Normally I use my digital coaxial connection so that the receiver can accept the signal, but this is still not truly digital.
Only DVI and HDMI are truly digital connections. Digitial coaxial, optical and RCA are all analog forms of delivering audio. You can send the signal in it's unprocessed state through optical and coaxial, but it's still an analog signal, just not in the same sense that PCM is.

With the exception of the PS3, which doesn't have analog outputs, ALL Blu-ray players can send lossless PCM, which is what all Sony and BVHE discs have, through analog outputs. You can also send the DTS core on Fox's discs through your analog outputs or through the optical/coaxial.

There are only two titles on Blu-ray with TrueHD, so that's pretty much irrelevant.

As the switch is made later this year or next year to DTS-HD MA or TrueHD then you'll probably find yourself wanting a new player, unless the PS3 is your current one in which case you'll just need a new receiver. The new HDMI 1.3 Onkyo is only $499.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:54 AM

Dunno about the 605 though, CC has it up on their site showing $599. Ouch.