Should i hold onto my Panny BD30 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2008, 09:08 PM

Default Should i hold onto my Panny BD30

Hello,
I just recently purchased a Panasonic BD30 and i love it, but should return it and wait for the BD50? I just purchased maybe two weeks ago so i have plenty of time to make up my mind. Does anyone know ball park of course how much the BD 50 will be???

Thank you,
Jimfear
Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 PM

the bd-50 is due in the Spring.
This is somewhat of a tough call. If you are a very patient person, and don't have any problem waiting I might consider taking it back.
On the other hand, it is still a ways off. So really it just depends.
If you don't have an hdmi 1.3 receiver it probably makes more sense to return it.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM

It would depend, just like Arkadin said, on whether you have an HDMI 1.3 AVR and whether web-enabled features are your thing. Both the BD30 and the BD50 are similar so both will be good players. Personally, I kept mine because it is considered the best SA at the moment. The BD50 is nice, but the innards are the same as the BD30 so I don't think I will be missing out on much.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 AM

SosticeX - what is SA?

I got my Panny for an awesome price, with everything said and done it cost me 400.00. I do not have a 1.3 HMDI receiver (yet). What companies are making then and roughly how much are they?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:12 AM

There are quite a few hdmi 1.3 receivers out there; I personally have the Onkyo 605 which i got a pretty good deal on at circuit city--cost about $450 when it was all said and done...it has a great feature set.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfear79 View Post
SosticeX - what is SA?
SA = "stand alone" (i.e. not the PS3).
Old 02-04-2008, 02:18 PM

I would definately return it just because of the low LFE PCM issue over HDMI. This is most definately a deal breaker IMO. 5db is a significant amount, and this cant be totaly corrected on the AVR side unless all your mains are set to large and no redirected bass is going to the sub. Wish I could return mine
Old 02-04-2008, 03:40 PM

I agree with Todd, I'd return it for the LFE HDMI -5db PCM bug that Panasonic refuses to fix. In fact, I'm returning mine for that reason. In May-June we should see some better standalone choices.
Old 02-04-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
I would definately return it just because of the low LFE PCM issue over HDMI. This is most definately a deal breaker IMO. 5db is a significant amount, and this cant be totaly corrected on the AVR side unless all your mains are set to large and no redirected bass is going to the sub. Wish I could return mine
Is your volume knob on your subwoofer broken? You can merely turn up your subwoofer to compensate, you know. Oh, right, I forgot. The frequencies not already in LFE that are being redirected to the sub, something like the 60-80 Hz range or so, are going to be 5 dB too high if you do that. Then the sound wouldn't be perfect.

Since you are keen on absolutely perfect sound, I guess you have full 20 Hz - 20 kHz speakers for all your channels, right? No? Then guess what--you're not getting perfect sound! The mere processing of bass frequencies and sending them to different speakers means you're altering the sound! I'm sure your room was built to full acoustic perfection as well, and your speaker placement is pinpoint perfect right? You measured it all, computed angles, made sure everything is perfect, right?

After you did that, you had your system professionally calibrated, right? If you didn't, then you're still not getting the "perfect sound." In fact, even if you do all this, there still could be a small range of frequencies not quite right due to lapses in the calibration (things you can't adjust), so I guess you might as well scrap all your equipment and just forget the whole thing.

I'm sure your TV has major flaws too that you don't know about. In fact, everything you have probably isn't quite perfect. Take it all back. It's no good, right? Or do you just like to pretend things are perfect because you didn't bother to find out that they aren't?

A few months ago, you were lauding this player and defending it against people who said anything bad about it. However, now that you've been told about this LFE issue--having owned the player for 2+ months without noticing the issue, or at least not enough to crab about it--you're furious. So it's so awful that you didn't notice it for months, huh? Is this one of those "it's so plainly noticeable that I didn't even notice it" things?

But now, obviously you're so enraged by this issue that you've just sold your player on eBay, right? You wish you could return it, and in another post, you've declared this to be completely unacceptable and decided that the product is defective. Why are you keeping it at all? If it's that bad and you can't stand it whatsoever, you should cut your loss, sell it, boycott Panasonic, and get something else.

The point: this isn't the end of the world, like some of you make it out to be. It's annoying, but it can be fixed within reason.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Is your volume knob on your subwoofer broken? You can merely turn up your subwoofer to compensate, you know. Oh, right, I forgot. The frequencies not already in LFE that are being redirected to the sub, something like the 60-80 Hz range or so, are going to be 5 dB too high if you do that. Then the sound wouldn't be perfect.

Since you are keen on absolutely perfect sound, I guess you have full 20 Hz - 20 kHz speakers for all your channels, right? No? Then guess what--you're not getting perfect sound! The mere processing of bass frequencies and sending them to different speakers means you're altering the sound! I'm sure your room was built to full acoustic perfection as well, and your speaker placement is pinpoint perfect right? You measured it all, computed angles, made sure everything is perfect, right?

After you did that, you had your system professionally calibrated, right? If you didn't, then you're still not getting the "perfect sound." In fact, even if you do all this, there still could be a small range of frequencies not quite right due to lapses in the calibration (things you can't adjust), so I guess you might as well scrap all your equipment and just forget the whole thing.

I'm sure your TV has major flaws too that you don't know about. In fact, everything you have probably isn't quite perfect. Take it all back. It's no good, right? Or do you just like to pretend things are perfect because you didn't bother to find out that they aren't?

A few months ago, you were lauding this player and defending it against people who said anything bad about it. However, now that you've been told about this LFE issue--having owned the player for 2+ months without noticing the issue, or at least not enough to crab about it--you're furious. So it's so awful that you didn't notice it for months, huh? Is this one of those "it's so plainly noticeable that I didn't even notice it" things?

But now, obviously you're so enraged by this issue that you've just sold your player on eBay, right? You wish you could return it, and in another post, you've declared this to be completely unacceptable and decided that the product is defective. Why are you keeping it at all? If it's that bad and you can't stand it whatsoever, you should cut your loss, sell it, boycott Panasonic, and get something else.

The point: this isn't the end of the world, like some of you make it out to be. It's annoying, but it can be fixed within reason.

Awesome post! LOL!

NO IT CANT BE FIXED WITHOUT COMPROMISE THAT WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DEAL WITH!

NO THIS IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. THIS IS ONLY A HOBBY. HOWEVER IN THE REALM OF THE HT HOBBY MANY OF US TAKE AUDIO VERY SERIOUSLY AND THIS LFE ISSUE IS NOT SOMETHING WE SHOULD HAVE TO LIVE WITH.

You are right about my stance on this player in the begin as it was awesome, but this LFE issue is completely unnacceptable if you care at all about accurate audio. To answer your questions, NO my room system/sound is not perfect. Some things I can only do so much about such as acoustics, and some things I should not have to deal with such as a DEFECTIVE BR player. The reason this is such a big deal is that this is something basic that should not be messed up, and 5db of LFE is SIGNIFICANT! If you have ever listened to the difference between a 110db LFE hit and a 115db LFE hit you would understand that the difference is obvious. The player is defective.

Anyone who has a calibrated system would NOT mess with the volume knob on the sub as it would throw the whole sub out of balance with the mains. Sure you can make this adjustment at the AVR, but all redirected bass from any speaker set to small will be bloated at that point which is not going to work for anyone who remotely cares about accurate audio from the SOURCE.

By the way, I was not TOLD about this issue, I was the one who originaly FOUND the issue. Sorry to let you down.

IF you dont care about accurate audio at the source which is one area where NO COMPROMISES should be made, then good for you and enjoy your 30. I am extremely unhappy about this, and given Panasonics "deal with it" attitude about the issue at this point just fuels the fire even more as that is a poor stance for a company to make about a product of theirs that is DEFECTIVE!

The player is defective plain and simple and needs a fix.