Does anyone unplug their player wen their not using it? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2008, 08:19 PM

Default Does anyone unplug their player wen their not using it?

I read in the manual it should b unplugged if not used for a long period of time. Does anyone do this? It just s.eems odd but does it expand the life span or something? Im afraid it will break if I keep unplugging it.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:10 PM

If you read the owners manual of EVERY electronic device ever made it says the same thing. But to answer you question, I can probably answer for everyone in the world and say NO. I see it being way more trouble than its worth.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricturd View Post
If you read the owners manual of EVERY electronic device ever made it says the same thing. But to answer you question, I can probably answer for everyone in the world and say NO. I see it being way more trouble than its worth.
I don't know. On one hand, you might know your electronics; on the other hand, you claim to be an electricturd?
Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 AM

You have already asked this question before, I remember the thread.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Well all your gear should be plugged into a decent surge protector. No absolute reason to unplug them.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
Well all your gear should be plugged into a decent surge protector. No absolute reason to unplug them.
Actually there is a pretty good reason to unplug them. All of those components in your AV rack on standby are all sucking down a little bit of power to keep the IR sensors awake and keep the standby light lit. Granted, it's not a lot of power, but it adds up.

Rather than unplug them, which would be a royal pain in the nether regions since my rack is cabinet mounted, The theater components are on three dedicated circuits (one for the amps, one for the electronics, and one for the projector) making it a simple matter to kill the power at the breakers if the system isn't going to be used for a few days.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Banned

Default rule of thumb

all digital components should be left plugged in and in standby mode..not powered off to get best performance
Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 AM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

i always unplug my equipment when i am not home. i grew up in the lightining capital of the world. and even though where iam at now ive only seen one lighting strike in the 10 years ive lived here. its still a force of habit.

also i dont care what kind of guarentee it has, i dont trust any surge protector to be 100 percent effective when iam not home.
better safe than sorry. its one thing if iam at home but if i leave the house, it takes 1 second to unplug the surge protector.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:05 AM

I alwasy make sure mine are always plugged into my surge/voltage protector.I see no reason to unplug unless you are not going to use that item anymore.all my electonics componets have stand by and thats what mode they are in currently.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
I alwasy make sure mine are always plugged into my surge/voltage protector.I see no reason to unplug unless you are not going to use that item anymore.all my electonics componets have stand by and thats what mode they are in currently.
Same here. Make sure you have a good quality surge protector.