Not sure which blu-ray is the right one for me - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 PM

Question Not sure which blu-ray is the right one for me

I have the following equipment:

Sony 50" Grand WEGA LCD Rear Projection TV KF-50WE610
Denon AVR-3805 Receiver
DirectTV HR20 DVR

I would like to get a blu-ray player. Have looked at the Sony Playstation, BDPS300 and S500 and the Panasonic DMP-BD30. Have grandkids who might ocasionally use Playstation but didn't like it's vertical position, but see that you can lay it horizontally. I saw that the S300 doesn't have an ethernet connection and can't output Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio, that the S500 isn't Blu-ray profile 1.1. Apparently since my receiver is 4 yrs. old it won't be able to take advantage of these outputs anyway. A Cnet review says: While high-resolution bitstream output is great for owners of new receivers, DMP-BD30 owners with older receivers are somewhat out of luck. The DMP-BD30 has no internal decoding for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD High Resolution, or DTS-HD Master Audio. This lack of internal decoding is particularly disappointing because the older DMP-BD10A itself offered internal decoding for all of these formats except DTS-HS Master Audio. Any DMP-BD30 owner whose AV receiver lacks built-in decoding for the new audio formats won't be able to enjoy the high-resolution soundtracks available on many Blu-ray discs (unless the disc includes an uncompressed soundtrack, as well.)

My receiver is 4 yr. old but cost $900 so I'm not really ready to buy a new one. And my tv is about 4-1/2 yr. old, but not ready for another one yet either. So, since I don't seem to have new enough equipment to take advantage of some of these blu-ray features, which player would be the best choice for me? Your input would be appreciated!!

Susan
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM

Hi there,

I was pretty much in the same position you are in as I have an older receiver that I am not ready to replace yet. I decided to go with the Playstation 3 because of the fast disc load times, it is profile 1.1 (supposed to be upgradable to 2.0), and seemed to be one of the most trouble free players out there. I first tried a samsung and it had a lot of problems so I switched it for the PS3. most folks who own the Pansaonic BD30 find it to be a good player too, but I think for the price, not having the on board decoding is a downside. The PS3 will decode everything but DTS HD MA and send it out through HDMI. I am using the optical connection for Standard Dolby Digital and DTS until I upgrade my receiver.

I have only had the PS3 for 2 weeks now, but I have watched at least 1 movie a day on it since. I have not yet had a problem, and it is very fast to load to the discs. I have been very happy with my decision. I think that it is probably the best bet right now.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:38 PM

I dont know if the 3805 has hdmi but if it doesnt then you definitely want a stand alone player so you can use the analog outputs.

Now if you are looking to buy today and want internal decoding you will be buying a 1.0 player. Internal decoding will be limited to TruHD only. Recommendations for this setup will be the Sharp, Samsung BD-P1400, Sony S500, Panny BD10a, and I believe Pioneer has one as well.

If you can hold out, Panasonic is supposed to be releasing their BD-50 player this spring that will internally decode TruHD and DTS-HD MA as well as be 2.0 compliant.

Also as an FYI, there is a sticky at the top of this forum that links you to another site where they have a nice table of all different players and what each one supports.
Old 02-01-2008, 10:07 PM

Default Not sure which blu-ray is the right one for me

Thank you both for your responses. I saw that table but still wasn't sure which one was the best choice given what equipment I have. I appreciate your input. Think I may wait until spring and see what is released. That's not very far away.

Susan
Old 02-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Just get a PS3, it looks great next to your other components and is a hell of a workhorse. It also comes with 2.0 compliance. At least mine did. The DTS issue WILL be fixed later on with an update.

-cheez avenger
Old 02-02-2008, 02:49 AM

Samsung BDP 1400!!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Just get a PS3, it looks great next to your other components and is a hell of a workhorse. It also comes with 2.0 compliance. At least mine did. The DTS issue WILL be fixed later on with an update.

-cheez avenger
The problem is the PS3 doesnt have analog out which is a requirement for this receiver. Also I wouldnt believe the whole DTS thing until its actually out. But thats a subject for a different thread.