I finally did it.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-30-2008, 06:03 PM

Default I finally did it..

I got a Playstation 3! I got my tax return deposited yesterday, so I figured what the hell, why not finally dive into Blu. I went to Sony.com and ordered me the 80gb version.

I've been meaning to for sometime, and I struggled with getting this, or an Xbox360. All my friends have a 360, and only one of my friends little brother has a PS3, and wanted so desperately to play with all my other friends online, but the BD player did me in. Looks like I'm going to have to wait a little bit longer to get that 360.

Now on to Amazon to get a few games and movies! Yay, I'm excited!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 PM

Hmm.. thought I posted this in the Gaming section. A mod can move this thread if they wish.. guess I was too excited to notice!
Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 PM

It's a great Blu-ray player. However, I find it to be a bit clumsy and unpolished as a gaming console/media center. You experience may be different, though.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 PM

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a must own. Call of Duty 4 is really good also and Resistance is still one of the best games.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballplaya210 View Post
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a must own. Call of Duty 4 is really good also and Resistance is still one of the best games.
Agree about Uncharted, and if you've got kids (or are one at heart) I'd also highly recommend Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction. I wish games based on Pixar movies were half as good as Ratchet and Clank. As far as FPS, definitely go Call of Duty 4 unless you need a longer or co-op campaign, then Resistance. As far as online-multiplayer and replayability, I'd go with Call of Duty 4. Plus, Call of Duty 4 will give you something to talk about with your Xbox 360 friends right?

In regards to jrstinkfish's comment about it being clumsy and unpolished as a media center. In comparison to the 360 I agree, but if you have a Macintosh I'd buy Nullriver Software's MediaLink for PS3.

Regardless, enjoy your new toy(s)! If we don't hear back from you around here for a while, some of us will know why...
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 PM
Banned

I finally did it also.....it felt like warm apple pie!
Old 01-30-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers Fan View Post
I finally did it also.....it felt like warm apple pie!

Witch version of American Pie?

We all love pie and PS3. I jsut hope you clean your hands off before taking the disc out.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winklepr View Post
In regards to jrstinkfish's comment about it being clumsy and unpolished as a media center. In comparison to the 360 I agree, but if you have a Macintosh I'd buy Nullriver Software's MediaLink for PS3.
That is a neat program. I tried the evaluation version, and I really liked the way the PS3 would navigate my Macbook. Unfortunately, the PS3 wouldn't play some of the same movie files that my 360 would, so I just purchased the 360 version instead. If Sony pushes more codecs in there, I'll get the PS3 version too because the PS3 seems to pump out better audio (might be because my PS3 is hooked up to my HT via optical).
Old 01-31-2008, 01:32 AM

For now, the movies I bought were The Patriot and The Road Warrior. Game wise, I just got Resistance, and the game Motorstorm which comes with it.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM

I got mine this week as well. I didn't want to miss out on the 5 free BluRay offer (even though the offerings are weak). So I have the player (first impression - really well built - and I feel comfortable with it because it feels like a big PSP), but definetely not as easy or comfortable as the XBOX360 experience.

So far all I have is the packed in Spiderman 3 (amazing amazing visuals) and Tiger Woods 08 (which is nice but only 720P).

So now I need to find movies/games worth buying. I have looked around and don't see a lot I want (have too many of the must sees already on HD DVD). I know I do want the Die Hard Collection ... so I am waiting for a good deal on it.