Optimal Settings for the PS3 w/ HDMI Hook-Up? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1
Default Optimal Settings for the PS3 w/ HDMI Hook-Up?

I just bought the Onkyo TX-SR605. The only Blu-Ray player I own is a PS3. I have the two hooked up via a Monster Cables HDMI 1.3 cable (approx. $100).

Questions:

1) Is it possible to get HighDef audio (Dobly TrueHD, DTS-MA) output w/ the PS3?

2) If it is possible, how do I go about setting it up? My PS3 audio output settings only have check boxes for DTS, Dolby 5.1, and a slew of PCM options, but no options for the HD audio formats.

3) If it is not possible to output HD audio from the PS3, what is my next best option for audio output?

4) Would HD audio capability warrant dropping the $700+ for a new Blu-Ray player?

Any help you guys can give me would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:40 PM
jcc's Avatar
jcc jcc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 712
Default

The PS3 will decode Dolby TrueHD internally, and send to the Onkyo as LPCM, so you get the full benefit.

It will not decode DTS-MA yet (probably will in the future), but delivers a pretty good 1.5Mbps DTS core stream. When they do include internal decoding, you will get the full benefit.

It will not bitstream TrueHD or DTS-MA, even with a firmware upgrade (hardware limitation). So, your investment in the 605 with decoding capabilities is future proofing for a new Blu-ray player you get in the future that does bitsreaming. Personally, I will wait a coupe of years before getting one, but the Onkyo 605 will handle it when I do.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19
Default

To specifically answer your question, tell the PS3 to output PCM via HDMI. The PS3will do the decoding. PS. You're going to need another HDMI cable to go form your receiver to your TV.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
joey0480's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,169
Default

yeah and don't waste your money with a monster HDMI cable. you got jacked.

Go to monoprice from now on
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2theGame View Post
I just bought the Onkyo TX-SR605. The only Blu-Ray player I own is a PS3. I have the two hooked up via a Monster Cables HDMI 1.3 cable (approx. $100).

Questions:

1) Is it possible to get HighDef audio (Dobly TrueHD, DTS-MA) output w/ the PS3?
Yes, BUT: according to information on the AVS forums, the TrueHD gets decoded as 5.1 instead of 7.1 on the PS3. So, that's one thing to be aware of. I just upgraded my speaker setup to 7.1 and was considering the PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, but may now go to the Panasonic BD30 instead, which does bitstream full 7.1 TrueHD over HDMI.

I wanted to include the URL to that forum, but I can't because I am a new member here. Just go to avsforum dot com and then go to AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD Areas > Blu-ray Players and look for the thread entitled "AVS Sony PS3 FAQ (PS3 used as a Blu-ray player)".

Good luck with your decision... It's way too difficult, isn't it, when you start looking at all the pros and cons of the various player options out there?

- Erik
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 2
Default

Oh, and yes, you got jacked buying Monster cable. Never do that. That stuff is insanely overpriced. I got my cables from monoprice as well -- beautiful HDMI cables of great quality, plus a nice selection of lengths and colors to pick from, and they are cheap! Same goes for component cables, etc: there are better and cheaper options out there than Monster.

- Erik
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-2008, 05:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderneut View Post
Yes, BUT: according to information on the AVS forums, the TrueHD gets decoded as 5.1 instead of 7.1 on the PS3. So, that's one thing to be aware of. I just upgraded my speaker setup to 7.1 and was considering the PS3 as my Blu-Ray player, but may now go to the Panasonic BD30 instead, which does bitstream full 7.1 TrueHD over HDMI.

I wanted to include the URL to that forum, but I can't because I am a new member here. Just go to avsforum dot com and then go to AVS Forum > Blu-ray & HD DVD Areas > Blu-ray Players and look for the thread entitled "AVS Sony PS3 FAQ (PS3 used as a Blu-ray player)".

Good luck with your decision... It's way too difficult, isn't it, when you start looking at all the pros and cons of the various player options out there?

- Erik
Are you sure there is a TrueHD Blu-Ray with 7.1 audio? Could you tell me which one? I had thought that they were all 5.1 currently. The PS3 should do 7.1 without problems. I mean there is no difinitive information from Sony that says it won't. Anyone tried the PCM on 3:10 to Yuma on a PS3 to a 7.1 system? The disk is 7.1 Uncompressed PCM. Maybe it's just TrueHD that comes out as 5.1, but I would like to know which movie on Blu-Ray has 7.1 TrueHD.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
Kenshiro's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,252
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Are you sure there is a TrueHD Blu-Ray with 7.1 audio? Could you tell me which one? I had thought that they were all 5.1 currently. The PS3 should do 7.1 without problems. I mean there is no difinitive information from Sony that says it won't. Anyone tried the PCM on 3:10 to Yuma on a PS3 to a 7.1 system? The disk is 7.1 Uncompressed PCM. Maybe it's just TrueHD that comes out as 5.1, but I would like to know which movie on Blu-Ray has 7.1 TrueHD.
There aren't any TrueHD 7.1 movies I know of. I think he is confusing it with DTS-HD MA 7.1 which the PS3 decodes as DTS 5.1(1.5mbps).

The PS3 decodes 7.1 PCM perfectly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help I'm a girl without knowledge on how to set my decibles for optimal soud!!! Danuta Blu-ray Software General Discussion 2 09-04-2017 09:29 PM
PS3 HDMI problem; then lost audio/video settings ElwoodJD Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 5 07-18-2011 01:01 PM
1080i Broadcast: Component & HDMI Hook ups Jerosmith Home Theater Gear 13 12-12-2008 09:44 PM
Settings - How to achive optimal sound cpus456 Home Theater Gear 0 07-12-2008 01:58 PM
Help! I can't hook up PS3 to different TVs. simpspin Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 4 05-31-2007 04:08 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off