Different DVI cable causing PS3 distortion? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2008, 02:40 AM

Default Different DVI cable causing PS3 distortion?

Hi all, having a bit of trouble with my HDMI connections. After an electrical surge went through my surge protector to my electronic HDMI switch and fried my PS3, I resolved to only use a manual push-button HDMI switch. I also replaced all my cables, not wanting any problems. They've started to crop up though.

The problem I'm having is that it seems the HDMI connection sometimes is lost halfway through whatever I'm watching and I start to get distortion until I push the button for a different component and then go back to the PS3. My push-button HDMI switch is about a year old and I switch back and forth between different components fairly frequently so it does get a lot of use.

I was just thinking though, when I switched out the cords I went from a single-link DVI to HDMI cable to a dual-link DVI to HDMI cable. Would that cause any problems with my fairly old (manufactured July 2004, DVI input, 1080i only) TV? If not, any solutions? I'd hate to just have to buy a new HDMI switch every year.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM

Any switcher using physical switching rather than electronic will wear out eventually. That being said, the first 10m HDMI cable I used was borderline broken - it wouldn't work in 1080p/50-60, only 1080p/24. 1080i worked but had random speckles. Swapping for a better cable (which cost less, oddly enough) fixed everything.

Why not buy another electronic switcher and put it on a surge protector or UPS? I'd suggest using a UPS regardless, it's cheap insurance for expensive home theatre gear.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
Any switcher using physical switching rather than electronic will wear out eventually. That being said, the first 10m HDMI cable I used was borderline broken - it wouldn't work in 1080p/50-60, only 1080p/24. 1080i worked but had random speckles. Swapping for a better cable (which cost less, oddly enough) fixed everything.

Why not buy another electronic switcher and put it on a surge protector or UPS? I'd suggest using a UPS regardless, it's cheap insurance for expensive home theatre gear.
I did have the first two on surge protectors and they STILL fried my hardware. It's completely because of the electronic switch, because everything that was hooked up to the switch got fried and everything that wasn't was fine. I won't attempt another electronic switch until I move out of this old condo where I'm currently living. I think the place just has godawful wiring.