Petition for all future Blu Ray's to be released without LPCM - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 AM

Default Petition for all future Blu Ray's to be released without LPCM

Hello,

I am starting a petition for all future Blu Ray's to be released without LPCM so that Panasonic doesn't have to stress themselves to fix their HDMI issue. I mean, why should we expect a $500.00 player to have proper LFE levels with the most popular format on BD? It's not such a big deal to have to turn up the individual volume each time a BD has an exclusive LPCM track right? Don't worry Panny, I have you covered!
Old 01-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
Hello,

I am starting a petition for all future Blu Ray's to be released without LPCM so that Panasonic doesn't have to stress themselves to fix their HDMI issue. I mean, why should we expect a $500.00 player to have proper LFE levels with the most popular format on BD? It's not such a big deal to have to turn up the individual volume each time a BD has an exclusive LPCM track right? Don't worry Panny, I have you covered!
No thanks, but then does this have a point? I mean are you serious about wanting to get rid of Uncompressed PCM or are you bashing Panasonic's player?
Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 AM

I acctually do want to get rid of uncompressed. Not for this reason but i just don't see the point. The uncompressed is a huge waste of disk space in my eyes.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
I acctually do want to get rid of uncompressed. Not for this reason but i just don't see the point. The uncompressed is a huge waste of disk space in my eyes.
What else are studios putting in there? look at 3:10 to Yuma it has alot of really great extras and still fits Uncompressed 7.1 PCM there.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Hello,

You can't possibly be serious...are you? I am sorry, but I for one will NOT be signing your petition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
I don't see the point of getting rid of it. Why are we trying to save disc space? I am trying to understand the logic behind this.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 AM

Uhh buddy no logic to your statement. If you want totally compressed audio stick to DVD box sets.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Hello,

rofl! good one

On a serious note, I would also vote for TrueHD or DTS-HDMA though instead of PCM on future BD releases. With the extra space savings of TrueHD/DTS-HDMA we can get either more extras or higher bit resolution audio! 24/48 TrueHD/DTS-HDMA is obviously better than 16/48 PCM.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:05 PM

I'm definitely down for getting rid of Uncompressed PCM. I'd rather companies not use pcm and put more extra's on a single disc. That way we don't have to pay more for 2-disc editions of movies.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:51 PM

I'll sign the papers to have you committed......
Old 01-27-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownjuggles View Post
If you want totally compressed audio stick to DVD box sets.
+1 HDM is more than picture to me.