How to archive HD content onto disc from MiniDV - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM

Default How to archive HD content onto disc from MiniDV

Hi,

I am new to this forum and hope I have chosen the right group to post this question. If not, I apologize and please direct me to the appropriate forum.

The question is: I have about 60 minutes of HD content on a Standard MiniDV Tape (not MiniDV HD Tape). Content was recorded using a SONY HDR-HC5 HD Camcorder. I want to make some copies of it onto "a disc". At this point, I do have enough information as well as confused with the Blu Ray and HD-DVD. I simply want to make copies onto a disc WITHOUT comprising the quality, meaning I want to retain the original HD quality. How can I accomplish this (without using PC's)? What equipments do I need? Is this currently possible at the consumer leve?

Before I post this question, I have researched on the web, talk to guys at Best Buy, Circuit City, these guys are just spinning me around. Do you know what I mean? You talk to the camcorder guy, they tell you to talk to Home Theatre guy which in turn direct you to the Geek Squad or FireDog or the computer guy. In fact, I just came back from Best Buy. I spoke to a Sony rep there. He said go get the Sony MC-5 and it has an HDMI input. That's what you need. Checked it out at the store. There is no HDMI input. So you are going in circle. Even if there is, the MC-5 is simply a DVD recorder.
Can you use this to do what I need?

Can someone from this forum who can possibly shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Sydney