Sony BDP-S300 BD player vs PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Sony BDP-S300 BD player vs PS3

I am curious is there any advantages of going with say the Sony BDP-S300 BD player vs the PS3 when playing movies.

I understand that PS3 was a console and for some people will not be good idea in a more Home Theater like enviroment.

The biggest issue that I think is that it probably works better than the PS3 with remotes like the Harmony remotes.

I am curious about any other technical benifits. I have a feeling one day because of my investment in Blu-ray that I will likely one day be serious thinking about it. Before that I desired a HDMI reciever and move my Harmon Karmon in my bedroom ( maybe one day with the PS3 ).
Old 02-28-2007, 04:20 AM

well i say, purely the fact that the PS3 has a processor and is able to be updated makes it the best damn Blu-ray unit. It can be tweaked whenever it needs and it can tap into the Cell Processor when it comes to Java script, loads and etc.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
well i say, purely the fact that the PS3 has a processor and is able to be updated makes it the best damn Blu-ray unit. It can be tweaked whenever it needs and it can tap into the Cell Processor when it comes to Java script, loads and etc.
think Sony should come out with strip down version that is aim directly at Blu-ray playback and has look and feel of a stand alone. But still keeping the Cell processor for the updates. The OS is not loaded on hard drive - I notice this when I upgraded my drive to 160G.

A little off topic, which version Linux are you running on your PS3.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:00 PM

I for one am seriously considering buying the new Sony later in the year when it comes out to replace my PS3 as a BD player. Iwould just sell my PS3 and get one of them. I would still have my 360 for games.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
I for one am seriously considering buying the new Sony later in the year when it comes out to replace my PS3 as a BD player. Iwould just sell my PS3 and get one of them. I would still have my 360 for games.

The main question I asking here, is which is actually better - so far PS3 looks like it could be best Blu-ray player of all. I haven't seen any response that really indicated there is advantage going Stand alone. That is basically what I am asking.

I would likely put my PS3 in my bedroom and use the stand alone down stairs.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:33 PM

Currently the PS3 does not output black than black, although I know of zero discs that support that so...for audio the PS3 seems a bit superior given it's great SACD support and TrueHD support.

I will consider buying this stand-alone Sony player if it supports TrueHD out of the box.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:14 PM

As a serious videophile, I would not want a PS3 or an XBox or a Wii featured in my system display. These are game boxes, guys; pure and simple. I don't want then there. I think Sony has finally come to realize this and I think [and I may be all wrong here] that they are simply taking the PS3 innards, or some part of them, putting them in a component box with new software, and selling it as a new product to hopefully, a new market segment. If this is indeed the case, then this unit, in no way is a smaller version of its big brother. They can't sell this unit at $400 cheaper and maintain the "same capabilities" as they so claim. They have to cut corners somewhere. I am curious to see if it has analog audio output and what audio options are included on board. I would also be curious as to its upscaling capabilities. This thing will have to be perfect for me to buy, and I very much doubt that it will be.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevepro View Post
As a serious videophile, I would not want a PS3 or an XBox or a Wii featured in my system display. These are game boxes, guys; pure and simple. I don't want then there. I think Sony has finally come to realize this and I think [and I may be all wrong here] that they are simply taking the PS3 innards, or some part of them, putting them in a component box with new software, and selling it as a new product to hopefully, a new market segment. If this is indeed the case, then this unit, in no way is a smaller version of its big brother. They can't sell this unit at $400 cheaper and maintain the "same capabilities" as they so claim. They have to cut corners somewhere. I am curious to see if it has analog audio output and what audio options are included on board. I would also be curious as to its upscaling capabilities. This thing will have to be perfect for me to buy, and I very much doubt that it will be.

This is one of reasons that I believe Sony should come up with unit that is basically a strip down PS3 - with no gaming but all the Blu-ray ability with the Cell processor and internet supports - so that player can be updated.

Also unit should have the appearence of Blu-ray stand alone player - likely a lot smaller size and cheaper.

In general the PS3 is excelient Blu-ray player - most likely the best HD player available today - but it has the non-professional look of a console. This is not a big deal with most people but some might be picky about it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
This is one of reasons that I believe Sony should come up with unit that is basically a strip down PS3 - with no gaming but all the Blu-ray ability with the Cell processor and internet supports - so that player can be updated.

Also unit should have the appearence of Blu-ray stand alone player - likely a lot smaller size and cheaper.

In general the PS3 is excelient Blu-ray player - most likely the best HD player available today - but it has the non-professional look of a console. This is not a big deal with most people but some might be picky about it.
I completly agree with you on this. All though to me, I personaly thing of the PS3 as a very beautiful machine and its the center of my home theater setup but alot of high end customers might be turned off to the idea of "Playstation 3"
Old 03-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Banned

The stand alone has 1080p24 support, I don't think the PS3 currently does this. The stand alone upscales DVDs, however there is talk of the PS3 getting this in the next major update. The standalone plays AVC-HD (these are used in HD handycams). The standalone has xvColor support, and I'm not sure of the PS3's ability here. I think it's an HDMI 1.3 thing, so the PS# should theoretically have this.