Panny 30 or 50 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 AM

Default Panny 30 or 50

Hello,
I have been asking some questions all week on the message boards and you all have been wonderful helping me with. I have one last real big question.. I just got my Best Buy coupon in the mail and wham-o 20% all Blu Ray and HD DVD players, so i get to start thinking it may be time to get up-date the old BDP-S1. Now, I know the Panny 30 will not be profile 2.0 and i am ok with that the feature really doesn't interest me... But what is the real difference between the two players... i have been reading all week regarding LFE problem but my current surround hook up I have audio going out through my optical cable, so will it affect me??

please help!!!

thanks everyone - Jimfear
Old 01-25-2008, 10:12 AM

LFE issue will NOT affect you. And the difference is the BD50 has internal decoders for highdef audio and is profile 2.0. So if you have a HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 receiver that accepts PCM over HDMI then you get all the lossless codecs or if you use 5.1 or 7.1 analogs you get use of all lossless codecs. Also most people think the BD50 will have the same LFE issue anyways.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default sound decoders

the 30 player passes the sound via bit stream over the hdmi....so you need a new reciever..Onkyo, Pioneer, yamaha...that has built in decoders for dolby true,dts hd ..to provide the sound for the high def soundtracks..the 50 does the same..but has the decoders built in..just like the panny 10a..so if you have a receiver with analog inputs..the player does the work and you do not need a new receiver....and of course the 30 is available now..the 50 not till the summer....also there is a glitch in the firmware update for the 30 player..it messes the bit streaming of the sound info..so do not do the firmware update just yet....
Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM

Would the 50 be big bucks with the player doing all the decoding. I have a fairly new Pioneer receiver, but not TrueHD.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene9p View Post
the 30 player passes the sound via bit stream over the hdmi....so you need a new reciever..Onkyo, Pioneer, yamaha...that has built in decoders for dolby true,dts hd ..to provide the sound for the high def soundtracks..the 50 does the same..but has the decoders built in..just like the panny 10a..so if you have a receiver with analog inputs..the player does the work and you do not need a new receiver....and of course the 30 is available now..the 50 not till the summer....also there is a glitch in the firmware update for the 30 player..it messes the bit streaming of the sound info..so do not do the firmware update just yet....
I did my update with the disc Panasonic sent me.I have experienced no audio problems.Unless it is when using HDMI.I am using fiber optic for now.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Receiver for BD30

Hi there, just ordered the BD30 and the TH-50PX75U. I was really drawn to the single remote capability.
I am looking for a panny receiver to match but after reading the threads I realize that the BD30 does not do internal decoding of DTS HD and would need a receiver to do this.
Will the SA-XR 700 do the decoding necessary to take advantage of all the BD30 features?
I would also like to stick with all panny products.
Old 01-27-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp96b View Post
Hi there, just ordered the BD30 and the TH-50PX75U. I was really drawn to the single remote capability.
I am looking for a panny receiver to match but after reading the threads I realize that the BD30 does not do internal decoding of DTS HD and would need a receiver to do this.
Will the SA-XR 700 do the decoding necessary to take advantage of all the BD30 features?
I would also like to stick with all panny products.
I think the SA-XR700 is no longer being made.I am also looking for a Panny receiver and was told by Panasonic they have a new one coming out soon.My current receiver is a Panasonic SA-HE200 with 130 watts x 6.It is DVD-Audio ready but only has analog 5.1 and toslink inputs.I have been thinking of hooking my BD-30 to the analog ins to see how the sound would be but, I hate unhooking my DVD player from it.