Sony Sapphire 5 vs Panasonic DMP BD-50 - Have video/audio questions, need help!!!!! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-24-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Sony Sapphire 5 vs Panasonic DMP BD-50 - Have video/audio questions, need help!!!!!

Hi everyone, newby here. I've been waiting to find the perfect Blu-ray player (well, one that has all the features I'm looking for) and I think I have come down to 2 players. I have some questions (mostly audio) which will help me make up my mind. I'm pretty sure the picture will be the same on both so I guess it comes down to this. Any help anyone can share would be great!!!!!!

First, I'll let you know what I have in my set up. I'm running my upscaled dvd player through an optical connection on a 5 speaker/subwoofer system. It's nothing special but it gets the job done.

1) I am curious, what kind of sound would I get if I hook up a Blu-ray player to this set-up (above)?

Ok, now onto the real questions. Both the Sapphire and DMP-BD50 play Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA. However, the Sapphire has only has Onboard Decoding while the BMP-BD-50 has both Onboard Decoding and Bitstreaming.

2) What is the difference between Onboard Decoding and Bitstreaming? Is one better than the other?

I've been reading that Blu-ray offers 7.1 Surround Sound.

3) What is the difference between 7.1 and 5.1? Does it mean that there are 7 speakers (plus sub-woofer) as opposed to 5 (plus sub-woofer)? Does that mean I'll need a 7 speaker system?

The HDMI connection.

4) Is HDMI the only way to experience DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD-MA? Are there many audio systems out there that offer a HDMI connection? What do they typically cost (nothing out of the ordinary, just something to experince lossless sound)?

5) I've been reading alot about the DMP-BD-30 having low LFE PCM over HMDI. What exactly does that mean? Is this something that can be avoided by using Onboard Decoding or Bitstreamimg? Should I worry about this problem for the DMP-BD-50?

Finally, which player do you think is better? I'm leaning towards the Panosonic as it offers more but until I understand what everything means I won't be able to make a decision.

Thanks everyone for all the help and have a great day!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman24_7 View Post
Hi everyone, newby here. I've been waiting to find the perfect Blu-ray player (well, one that has all the features I'm looking for) and I think I have come down to 2 players. I have some questions (mostly audio) which will help me make up my mind. I'm pretty sure the picture will be the same on both so I guess it comes down to this. Any help anyone can share would be great!!!!!!

First, I'll let you know what I have in my set up. I'm running my upscaled dvd player through an optical connection on a 5 speaker/subwoofer system. It's nothing special but it gets the job done.

1) I am curious, what kind of sound would I get if I hook up a Blu-ray player to this set-up (above)?

Ok, now onto the real questions. Both the Sapphire and DMP-BD50 play Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD-MA. However, the Sapphire has only has Onboard Decoding while the BMP-BD-50 has both Onboard Decoding and Bitstreaming.

2) What is the difference between Onboard Decoding and Bitstreaming? Is one better than the other?

I've been reading that Blu-ray offers 7.1 Surround Sound.

3) What is the difference between 7.1 and 5.1? Does it mean that there are 7 speakers (plus sub-woofer) as opposed to 5 (plus sub-woofer)? Does that mean I'll need a 7 speaker system?

The HDMI connection.

4) Is HDMI the only way to experience DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD-MA? Are there many audio systems out there that offer a HDMI connection? What do they typically cost (nothing out of the ordinary, just something to experince lossless sound)?

5) I've been reading alot about the DMP-BD-30 having low LFE PCM over HMDI. What exactly does that mean? Is this something that can be avoided by using Onboard Decoding or Bitstreamimg? Should I worry about this problem for the DMP-BD-50?

Finally, which player do you think is better? I'm leaning towards the Panosonic as it offers more but until I understand what everything means I won't be able to make a decision.

Thanks everyone for all the help and have a great day!!!!!!!
ok i'll do my best here.

1) The best sound you would get out of a Blu-Ray player set-up this way is DTS at 1.5mbps

2) Ok onboard decoding means the player decodes it into uncompressed PCM and sends it to the receiver and bitstream means it send the compressed file to the receiver for decoding...technically they should be the same in the real world most people are liking bitstream. The advantage onboard decoding has is you can use 5.1 analogs if the player onboard decodes and still get lossless.

3) Yes 7.1 means 7 speakers plus sub. You don't NEED 7.1 as of yet. There are only a handful of movies with 7.1 tracks and if you have 5.1 your receiver converts it.

4) Ok you can get lossless through 5.1 or 7.1 analogs. Refer to the included pic i circled what 7.1 analogs look like. 5.1 analogs just have 1 less pair. There are a few that offer HDMI. The most common being the onkyo receivers. TX-SR605 705 and 805 also the 905 if you have lots of coin. 606 is the most common currently $407 at amazon with free shipping.

5) LFE is the sub woofer channel. It is true and what it means is anytime there is a Blu-ray with a PCM soundtrack instead of a compressed lossless track (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) the sub is weak. The DMP-BD30 does NOT do onboard decoding of the advanced tracks it only bitstreams. So if you are watching a movie with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA you won't encounter this problem. And yes i would worry about it with the BD50 it is the same design.

Well hope that helped let me know if you have more questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Sapphire 5 vs Panasonic DMP BD-50 - Have video/audio questions, need help!!!!!-sr605mod.jpg  
Old 01-24-2008, 04:54 PM

Thanks Coaler, you've cleared alot of things up for me. I still don't know which player to go for but if the Panasonic player still has problems I may go with the Sony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
ok i'll do my best here.

1) The best sound you would get out of a Blu-Ray player set-up this way is DTS at 1.5mbps

2) Ok onboard decoding means the player decodes it into uncompressed PCM and sends it to the receiver and bitstream means it send the compressed file to the receiver for decoding...technically they should be the same in the real world most people are liking bitstream. The advantage onboard decoding has is you can use 5.1 analogs if the player onboard decodes and still get lossless.

3) Yes 7.1 means 7 speakers plus sub. You don't NEED 7.1 as of yet. There are only a handful of movies with 7.1 tracks and if you have 5.1 your receiver converts it.

4) Ok you can get lossless through 5.1 or 7.1 analogs. Refer to the included pic i circled what 7.1 analogs look like. 5.1 analogs just have 1 less pair. There are a few that offer HDMI. The most common being the onkyo receivers. TX-SR605 705 and 805 also the 905 if you have lots of coin. 606 is the most common currently $407 at amazon with free shipping.

5) LFE is the sub woofer channel. It is true and what it means is anytime there is a Blu-ray with a PCM soundtrack instead of a compressed lossless track (Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA) the sub is weak. The DMP-BD30 does NOT do onboard decoding of the advanced tracks it only bitstreams. So if you are watching a movie with TrueHD or DTS-HD MA you won't encounter this problem. And yes i would worry about it with the BD50 it is the same design.

Well hope that helped let me know if you have more questions.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Well the panasonic only has LFE issues through HDMI so if you are going to use the 5.1 or 7.1 analogs then the Panasonic would be a GREAT player.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:35 PM

I didnt see a purchasing time frame mentioned in the thread but want to point out is the Sapphire players shown at CES were prototypes with no mention of a planned release date.

The BD50 is expected to hit sometime in spring if I recall correctly.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:23 PM

If you're receiver have LFE level ajustement you should be just fine. I have a 3808ci and it have separate LFE adjustement for each DSP, including MultiChannel PCM so -10... -5... don't affect me..
Old 01-24-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
Well the panasonic only has LFE issues through HDMI so if you are going to use the 5.1 or 7.1 analogs then the Panasonic would be a GREAT player.
A quick question, if I use analogs does that mean that I can't use a wireless system?

I don't have a time frame. I just want to get a player that will have everything I'm looking for (DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD-MA). If its later this year than so be it.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki360 View Post
If you're receiver have LFE level ajustement you should be just fine. I have a 3808ci and it have separate LFE adjustement for each DSP, including MultiChannel PCM so -10... -5... don't affect me..
Yes, but unfortunately the 3808 doesn't let you turn UP the LFE for each source. I have that receiver and looked where you suggest first. You can only turn it down, so it won't fix the -5 dB from the Panasonic player.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:04 AM

Thumbs up How to Increase Subwoofer level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoohki360 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
Yes, but unfortunately the 3808 doesn't let you turn UP the LFE for each source. I have that receiver and looked where you suggest first. You can only turn it down, so it won't fix the -5 dB from the Panasonic player.
Actually a little basic math could help you Aurora, ie:

If you are trying to add +5db to the Lfe channel in Multi-Channel mode, first go into Speaker Level settings and increase Subwoofer by 5db, then go back to the DSP adjustments and decrease every sound mode's subwoofer output by 5db (with exception of Multi-Channel mode). Now lets do the math +5 -5 =0, & +5 -0= +5, so you see you have just increased the Subwoofer level on only your desired soundfield w/o affecting the other sound modes (or inputs), in this case Multi-Channel mode.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDtheater View Post
Actually a little basic math could help you Aurora, ie:

If you are trying to add +5db to the Lfe channel in Multi-Channel mode, first go into Speaker Level settings and increase Subwoofer by 5db, then go back to the DSP adjustments and decrease every sound mode's subwoofer output by 5db (with exception of Multi-Channel mode). Now lets do the math +5 -5 =0, & +5 -0= +5, so you see you have just increased the Subwoofer level on only your desired soundfield w/o affecting the other sound modes (or inputs), in this case Multi-Channel mode.
ouch haha. excellent math skillz hdtheatre.