USB sound card for the PS3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-24-2008, 03:18 AM

Default USB sound card for the PS3

Would it be possible for a manufacturer to come up with a sound card for the ps3 that includes Bitstreaming?

Possibly have a hdmi pass through so that you can still use the HDMI connection.

They have done it for computers.. why not the PS3?
Old 01-24-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
Would it be possible for a manufacturer to come up with a sound card for the ps3 that includes Bitstreaming?

Possibly have a hdmi pass through so that you can still use the HDMI connection.

They have done it for computers.. why not the PS3?
because USB doesn't pass HDCP.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 PM

I"m not sure audio needs to pass HDCP ala optical SPDIF
Old 01-24-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
I"m not sure audio needs to pass HDCP ala optical SPDIF
optical doesn't give you lossless either.

point is, using USB to pass HDMi through would negate HDCP and the PS3 wouldn't play the disk.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
optical doesn't give you lossless either.

point is, using USB to pass HDMi through would negate HDCP and the PS3 wouldn't play the disk.
I guess I'm not very clear,
my contention is that you can have a usb sound card with all your audio decoding that hasn't anything to do with HDCP. Your video will remain HDCP complaint via your PS3.

My point with the pass through would be more akin to having a extension for your HDMI connection so that you can just add the audio portion from the sound source to the hdmi connection and yet still let the video portion remain compliant.

I'm sure if somthing like this would work, someone would have created it, so your probably right.