Playstation 3 giving halos to lots of things? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-23-2008, 01:55 AM

Default Playstation 3 giving halos to lots of things?

I have been watching SAW IV on both Blu-ray and DVD on my PS3, and it seems as if there are smudges of light on Rigg's face in every scene, and blacks come out as reds and greens...

Is this a problem with my television? Or is this a known issue for the PS3?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
Yeah, after seeing the Unrated Director's Cut 5 times, I have to say this may very well be my favorite SAW film yet.

Anyways, regarding the video: I fooled around a bit with the Display Settings on my PS3, and adjusted the Brightness and Contrast on my television as well. The weird plates of light laden on Rigg's face are still there in a couple scenes, but it is far less apparent than before, and I can only notice it when I look real closely

I change my video rating back to a 4/5
I think you answered your own question... I use a calibration disk to adjust my TV. Avia is a good one and even the DVD disk will be great to adjust your colors properly.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterChief3624 View Post
I have been watching SAW IV on both Blu-ray and DVD on my PS3, and it seems as if there are smudges of light on Rigg's face in every scene, and blacks come out as reds and greens...

Is this a problem with my television? Or is this a known issue for the PS3?
It may not be the issue and I don't know if this has been mentioned to you but here goes.

Some movies suffer from the HD process. What do I mean? Well, certain movies have digital effects and tricks in them that you won't normally see in the theater or on SD DVDs. When you watch it in 1080p some of these digital effects that are designed to trick your eye (green screens for example) stand out and it causes the image to look odd in some areas. I noticed this in certain scenes of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Black hair on a character against a black background can sometimes stand out as having a green halo on the shadow. It may be the player or the TV or both, but I have calibrated it and movies like pirates of the caribbean which has dark scenes never has this effect. I remember it was noted that King Kong which used green screens a whole lot, suffered from similar things.