PS3: they couldn't have included a proper on/off-switch?! - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM
zaphod's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Default PS3: they couldn't have included a proper on/off-switch?!

Almost all people on this board who actually own a PS3 and use it as a BD player agree that it performs admirably in this role. So do I. I only have two gripes:

a) It's loud. The fan noise can be quite distracting, especially in quieter scenes. However, this has been discussed many times, and in any case, it seems the 40 GB model is quieter than the original 60 GB model which I own.

b) No proper on/off-switch. A minor point of course, but sufficiently annoying for me to want to rant about it. Switching the thing on works OK, but to switch it off, I have to press the PS button for a few seconds and then press 'enter' twice?! What kind of crap is that? Sony couldn't have just fitted a normal power button as featured on 99% of all CE equipment? Or did they think that was too boring? What's next? Waving the six-axis controller around in a certain pattern for ten seconds before the bleedin' box will power down? I guess if Sony made cars, you'd have to honk your horn three times and turn the key twice with your foot on the brake to turn off the motor.

(/end rant. feeling better.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
b) No proper on/off-switch. A minor point of course, but sufficiently annoying for me to want to rant about it. Switching the thing on works OK, but to switch it off, I have to press the PS button for a few seconds and then press 'enter' twice?! What kind of crap is that? Sony couldn't have just fitted a normal power button as featured on 99% of all CE equipment? Or did they think that was too boring? What's next? Waving the six-axis controller around in a certain pattern for ten seconds before the bleedin' box will power down? I guess if Sony made cars, you'd have to honk your horn three times and turn the key twice with your foot on the brake to turn off the motor.

(/end rant. feeling better.)
....um, check the back.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 AM
zaphod's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbase View Post
....um, check the back.
Um, I know what's in the back. Good luck activating that by remote. Maybe I wasn't being clear, I'm talking about powering the box down to standby mode.

But since you bring it up, that's actually one thing I really like about the PS3: the ability to switch it off completely and not just power it down to standby mode. It's really annoying that the Wii doesn't have that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM
Monty HD's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,796
Default

I agree it would have been nice to have more features of a blu-ray player than a Gaming machine some time. Having to push the PS button then ok twice is a a bit trying but I have gotten used to it. As for fan noise you may want to make sure the PS3 is properly ventilated. I recently got a new TV stand and had to put my PS3 on top of the stand because it sounded like a jet engine. Now it is not a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
zaphod's Avatar
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,667
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
[Snip] As for fan noise you may want to make sure the PS3 is properly ventilated. I recently got a new TV stand and had to put my PS3 on top of the stand because it sounded like a jet engine. Now it is not a problem.
My PS3 stands freely atop my HD DVD player (btw, they get along quite well together ), there's nothing on the sides, above, behind or in front of it. I think it should be properly ventilated?

Maybe my unit is asthmatic.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Sunny's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,017
Default

lol is this thread for real?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM
BuckeyeStar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 386
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Um, I know what's in the back. Good luck activating that by remote. Maybe I wasn't being clear, I'm talking about powering the box down to standby mode.

But since you bring it up, that's actually one thing I really like about the PS3: the ability to switch it off completely and not just power it down to standby mode. It's really annoying that the Wii doesn't have that.
It's not by remote, but you can also power down to standby without those confirmation clicks by holding the power button on the front for a couple seconds. And since you can't remove/switch discs remotely, you'll be at the console anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM
jg14's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 738
Default

Mine isn't loud at all. My HD-A2 is just as loud.

Seriously though, you didn't know you could turn it off by just holding the on/off "pad" on the unit for a few seconds? The original PS2 was this way as well.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1
Default

Ideally they'd put in a software fix to put it into standby mode by holding down the PS button on the remote for a few seconds.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 AM
-Tabris-'s Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 318
Default

Are you people really that lazy? Hold down a button 2 seconds and hit enter twice? what's that take.. 2 seconds?

And on another topic. I was playing Heavenly Sword last night.. and get this.. they wanted me to actually HOLD the remote and PUSH buttons. What kind of game is that? :-#
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Blu-Rays have you bought at full price because you couldn't wait for a sale? NJScorpio Blu-ray Software General Discussion 8 01-04-2013 10:21 AM
Any recommendations for proper video set up for PS3? uberboy Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 1 07-27-2010 03:17 PM
We couldn't have made LittleBigPlanet for the 360 - Media Molecule AnimalMother Gaming Smackdown 226 09-11-2008 01:44 PM
Can't get proper audio for PS3 Blu-ray playback darthprince Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 7 09-03-2008 01:09 PM
UBI says Splinter Cell Conviction couldn't be done on PS3 Master X Gaming Smackdown 35 05-08-2007 12:54 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off