PS3: they couldn't have included a proper on/off-switch?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-21-2008, 05:17 AM

Default PS3: they couldn't have included a proper on/off-switch?!

Almost all people on this board who actually own a PS3 and use it as a BD player agree that it performs admirably in this role. So do I. I only have two gripes:

a) It's loud. The fan noise can be quite distracting, especially in quieter scenes. However, this has been discussed many times, and in any case, it seems the 40 GB model is quieter than the original 60 GB model which I own.

b) No proper on/off-switch. A minor point of course, but sufficiently annoying for me to want to rant about it. Switching the thing on works OK, but to switch it off, I have to press the PS button for a few seconds and then press 'enter' twice?! What kind of crap is that? Sony couldn't have just fitted a normal power button as featured on 99% of all CE equipment? Or did they think that was too boring? What's next? Waving the six-axis controller around in a certain pattern for ten seconds before the bleedin' box will power down? I guess if Sony made cars, you'd have to honk your horn three times and turn the key twice with your foot on the brake to turn off the motor.

(/end rant. feeling better.)
Old 01-21-2008, 05:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
b) No proper on/off-switch. A minor point of course, but sufficiently annoying for me to want to rant about it. Switching the thing on works OK, but to switch it off, I have to press the PS button for a few seconds and then press 'enter' twice?! What kind of crap is that? Sony couldn't have just fitted a normal power button as featured on 99% of all CE equipment? Or did they think that was too boring? What's next? Waving the six-axis controller around in a certain pattern for ten seconds before the bleedin' box will power down? I guess if Sony made cars, you'd have to honk your horn three times and turn the key twice with your foot on the brake to turn off the motor.

(/end rant. feeling better.)
....um, check the back.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbase View Post
....um, check the back.
Um, I know what's in the back. Good luck activating that by remote. Maybe I wasn't being clear, I'm talking about powering the box down to standby mode.

But since you bring it up, that's actually one thing I really like about the PS3: the ability to switch it off completely and not just power it down to standby mode. It's really annoying that the Wii doesn't have that.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:52 AM

I agree it would have been nice to have more features of a blu-ray player than a Gaming machine some time. Having to push the PS button then ok twice is a a bit trying but I have gotten used to it. As for fan noise you may want to make sure the PS3 is properly ventilated. I recently got a new TV stand and had to put my PS3 on top of the stand because it sounded like a jet engine. Now it is not a problem.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty HD View Post
[Snip] As for fan noise you may want to make sure the PS3 is properly ventilated. I recently got a new TV stand and had to put my PS3 on top of the stand because it sounded like a jet engine. Now it is not a problem.
My PS3 stands freely atop my HD DVD player (btw, they get along quite well together ), there's nothing on the sides, above, behind or in front of it. I think it should be properly ventilated?

Maybe my unit is asthmatic.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:41 AM

lol is this thread for real?
Old 01-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
Um, I know what's in the back. Good luck activating that by remote. Maybe I wasn't being clear, I'm talking about powering the box down to standby mode.

But since you bring it up, that's actually one thing I really like about the PS3: the ability to switch it off completely and not just power it down to standby mode. It's really annoying that the Wii doesn't have that.
It's not by remote, but you can also power down to standby without those confirmation clicks by holding the power button on the front for a couple seconds. And since you can't remove/switch discs remotely, you'll be at the console anyway.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM

Mine isn't loud at all. My HD-A2 is just as loud.

Seriously though, you didn't know you could turn it off by just holding the on/off "pad" on the unit for a few seconds? The original PS2 was this way as well.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:17 AM

Ideally they'd put in a software fix to put it into standby mode by holding down the PS button on the remote for a few seconds.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 AM

Are you people really that lazy? Hold down a button 2 seconds and hit enter twice? what's that take.. 2 seconds?

And on another topic. I was playing Heavenly Sword last night.. and get this.. they wanted me to actually HOLD the remote and PUSH buttons. What kind of game is that? :-#