PS3 and LPCM audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Default PS3 and LPCM audio

Hi im a recent reader and first time poster here. I'm having some issues with my PS3 and getting the audio to work correctly. I currently have it hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-815 receiver through digital optical. I know the receiver is a very good one at that. Im just trying to get the PCM 5.1 uncompressed to play from my blu-ray movies. I've gone round and round with the guys at pioneer and there are of no help. Is anyone else having these issues? is there something wrong with the ps3? i know you can change the audio output for the optical to support the LPCM audio through the BD/DVD settings so this shouldn't be a ps3 issue. any input here would help immensely
Old 02-25-2007, 03:34 PM

There have been numerous posts asking the same question you are, you just have to search or read through them.

The short answer version (sort of)...
There is nothing wrong with your PS3. There is not enough bandwith through optical to carry a full 5.1 PCM (uncompressed) soundtrack. The most you can send through optical is 2.0 which will obiously downmix the soundtrack. Otherwise, like me you are stuck with the DD and DTS soundtracks which alone are at higher bitrates than the DVD counterparts. So if you can't tell the difference on Blu-Ray vs. DVD soundtracks, then you really dont need to even think about PCM.

If you want 5.1 PCM, you will need a new receiver which has HDMI inputs, but not just any HDMI receiver. Some only "switch" the signal essentialy passing it through. If it has a "repeater", it can accept the 5.1 (PCM) surround track through the HDMI cable while "repeating" the video signal to your tv.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Most receivers should tell you whether or not they accept audio.
Optical has the bandwidth, but was only ever spec'd to carry DTS/DD signals for multi-channel and as such will not work with PCM.

The newer Pioneer line of receivers, the --7 series (817, 1017, etc) will only do switching as well. If you want to stick with Pioneer you'll need a receiver from the Elite line.
From the Elite line the VSX-80TXV only has pass through, the VSX-81TXV, VSX-82TXS and VSX-84TXSi both support audio through HDMI with v1.1 specs. If you need to upgrade your best bet is to wait for the upcoming HDMI 1.3 receivers from Denon, Onkyo and Sherwood so that you can also take advantage of the DTS-MA tracks on Fox's releases.

There is further info about all of this on this site.