Ugh, when is PS3 getting DTS-HD MA? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2008, 10:16 AM

Default Ugh, when is PS3 getting DTS-HD MA?

In one month I'm getting a Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver and I'm starting to lose patience with the PS3 not decoding DTS-HD MA. I also understand the PS3 doesn't bitstream so yeah that isn't the reason I'm getting the TX-SR605 it's because my current receiver only does 2 channel PCM which I didn't realize when I bought it back then and it's future-proof for other players with real HDMI 1.3. Does anyone have any clue to when it'll be released? I've heard things of DTS working with Sony on it? My guess is it'll come with the Blu-ray profile 2.0 update for the PS3. If not too soon I'm going to have to get a combo player sooner than I thought
Old 01-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Almost 100% that this won't come out until a standalone player supports it, so Sony won't alienate their partners. The best bet for the standalone in question is the Panasonic BD50, so the PS3 will likely be updated after that.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintNick912 View Post
Almost 100% that this won't come out until a standalone player supports it, so Sony won't alienate their partners. The best bet for the standalone in question is the Panasonic BD50, so the PS3 will likely be updated after that.
I was thinking about that too, alienating partners... sigh. If only it was real HDMI 1.3
Old 01-21-2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankmallon View Post
I was thinking about that too, alienating partners... sigh. If only it was real HDMI 1.3
Yeah, no bitstream.

I remember that Profile v1.1 support was not added until a stand alone was available which had that support in the box. I can only assume that profile v2.0 and DTS HD MA decoding support will be in the same update later this year. DTS still claims that they are working with Sony to get it working, and that it can indeed decode it in software. I haven't heard them retract these statements so I can only believe it will happen.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:07 PM

With regards to this, I'd like some clarification on the PS3's audio capabilities via HDMI.

Assuming I have a 5.1 + receiver that accepts a PCM audio signal over the HDMI cable, the PS3 will output uncompressed PCM outputs, as well as decode DolbyTrueHD and output them as PCM over the HDMI cable?

This results in uncompressed audio to the receiver then, instead of a DD or DTS signal?

Is this correct?

Bitstreaming means sending the 'encoded' signal to the receiver for decompression, right?

I recently got a KDS 60A3000 and a PS3 and am looking to get a receiver and a few more speakers. But I'm pretty confused on what exactly I need in a receiver right now. One feature I'm pretty sure I won't be paying for is 1080p upconversion over HDMI through the receiver. It seems that feature is only in products over 1k. I can deal with changing the input on my TV to get the 1080i signal from the HD DVR box.

Feedback on my above ramblings would be appreciated.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
With regards to this, I'd like some clarification on the PS3's audio capabilities via HDMI.

Assuming I have a 5.1 + receiver that accepts a PCM audio signal over the HDMI cable, the PS3 will output uncompressed PCM outputs, as well as decode DolbyTrueHD and output them as PCM over the HDMI cable?

This results in uncompressed audio to the receiver then, instead of a DD or DTS signal?

Is this correct?

Bitstreaming means sending the 'encoded' signal to the receiver for decompression, right?

I recently got a KDS 60A3000 and a PS3 and am looking to get a receiver and a few more speakers. But I'm pretty confused on what exactly I need in a receiver right now. One feature I'm pretty sure I won't be paying for is 1080p upconversion over HDMI through the receiver. It seems that feature is only in products over 1k. I can deal with changing the input on my TV to get the 1080i signal from the HD DVR box.

Feedback on my above ramblings would be appreciated.
Everything you said is correct. If you don't intend to ever buy a new Blu-Ray player and will keep your PS3 for that function then you don't necessarily need Bitstream support. I asked this a while back and was told to look at the Sony DG-810 which is about $300 or the Yamaha 661 which is about $500. In between you have the Onkyo SR-605 which can accept a bitstream signal too. This one is at amazon for $397 with free shipping last I looked.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Everything you said is correct. If you don't intend to ever buy a new Blu-Ray player and will keep your PS3 for that function then you don't necessarily need Bitstream support. I asked this a while back and was told to look at the Sony DG-810 which is about $300 or the Yamaha 661 which is about $500. In between you have the Onkyo SR-605 which can accept a bitstream signal too. This one is at amazon for $397 with free shipping last I looked.
Why is the decompression of the TrueHD or DTS MA signals better outside of the player? If the receiver can do EQ stuff on the PCM signal post decompresion from a HDMI transported signal, how is it possible that a bitstreamed signal would be better?
Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellsworth View Post
Why is the decompression of the TrueHD or DTS MA signals better outside of the player? If the receiver can do EQ stuff on the PCM signal post decompresion from a HDMI transported signal, how is it possible that a bitstreamed signal would be better?
it isn't, however with some stand alone players the audio is adjusted (speaker distances etc) and the receiver doesn't know and attempts to do it's own adjustments. It really causes issues. Fortunately, the PS3 doesn't do any of this so you don't need to worry.