Hi, I have some questions. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2008, 12:54 PM

Question Hi, I have some questions.

Hi I'm new here and kinda new to BD. I have been reading these forums for a while and I felt I should be apart of it. I had some questions and concerns, here they are:

** I'm confused about the types of players. the info below is basically about the BD players out now, w/e version they are compared to the new ones in progress. I'm not sure about the names( 1.1, 1.0, 2.0)**

1. About these profile 1.0 and 1.1 BD players.
- If I purchase a 1.0 player and the 1.1 players have these special features, then its evdient that I wouldn't be able to access them. I wanted to know why is it such a big deal? I mean I still can play the disks, just can't access the features. I hear that many people will be upset that there players can't access the special features, but if a family doesn't care about those features then it shouldn't bother them. If they do, then can't the family just sell the player? I don't understand why people will be upset that they can't access these features, because I'm certain the common family won't care about them anyways.

Thats basically it. I hear ppl( no groups mentioned) saying that people will be upset about the 1.0 players if they want the special features, but they can always 1. return it, 2. sell it to someone who doesn't want the features.

The players ( 1.0, 1.1) can still play the disks right? I'm so confused.

Last edited by BluRanger; 01-19-2008 at 12:58 PM. Reason: confused
Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 PM

Basically the deal is yeah you SHOULD be able to play any title on a 1.0 player, but the reality is that MANY newer titles--especially the one's from Fox--often have major issues or simply will NOT load at all. so basically you are taking a huge gamble imo getting any player at this time other than a few select one's. The Fox titles that have the updated security called bd+ often give older players trouble also. So this is one of the main reasons everybody is so down on the 1.0 players. Not only can you NOT access the PiP features, but everytime a new title comes out, you have to start praying that it actually will even play AT ALL. so that's why many people who don't own a PS3 are so frustrated with Blu-Ray right now.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:31 PM

Oh that is a BIG problem. Its one thing to play the disks on a 1.0 player and not having the features, fine, but not to play the disks at all is huge. IS tee BDA doing anything to inform the consumers about the 2 types of players?
Old 01-19-2008, 01:38 PM

there are supposed to be stickers coming soon.