Region Coding; The only thing stopping me getting a Bluray Player.. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 AM

Default Region Coding; The only thing stopping me getting a Bluray Player..

Can anyone help me? Are there any players on the market, or versions of the PS3 that are region-free? This is the one thing stopping me from finally getting a Bluray player. So many of the Blurays i want aren't available in Australia.

Appreciate your help.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:47 AM

It's a bit of a nightmare with Blu-Ray, really. French PS3 will only play region 2 SD discs and Region B Blu-Discs, while the japanese one will only play region 2 NTSC /PAL discs and Region A Blu. It just doesn't make any sense (it should play region 1 SD as well, as it's the same content as region A, but Japan was region 2 NTSC on SD).
I think this is the biggest shortcoming of Blu being massively adopted in europe, people want an universal player, end of story, that's why HD-DVD players were selling good here.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 AM

I'm also from Australia - $42aud for Blu-Ray titles is a joke. I ordered some movies from Amazon (region free) as a) they aren't available locally b) work out far cheaper (even with shipping/fees). I'd go on a mad shopping spree if more titles were region free.

Heh - perhaps the ACCC will step in like it did with DVD format so we get cheaper prices and greater choice.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post
It's a bit of a nightmare with Blu-Ray, really. French PS3 will only play region 2 SD discs and Region B Blu-Discs, while the japanese one will only play region 2 NTSC /PAL discs and Region A Blu. It just doesn't make any sense (it should play region 1 SD as well, as it's the same content as region A, but Japan was region 2 NTSC on SD).
I think this is the biggest shortcoming of Blu being massively adopted in europe, people want an universal player, end of story, that's why HD-DVD players were selling good here.
I have a Japanese PS3 and it will not play PAL DVDs only NTSC region 2 DVDs and Region A Blu-Ray Discs. I find it a bit hypocritical that ppl didn't like region coding on DVD and yet go for an HD format that does have region coding.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
I have a Japanese PS3 and it will not play PAL DVDs only NTSC region 2 DVDs and Region A Blu-Ray Discs. I find it a bit hypocritical that ppl didn't like region coding on DVD and yet go for an HD format that does have region coding.
I doubt most Americans would care about region free capability unless they are into asian/european imports - so region free is not a big selling point. Not like it is to folks who reside outside U.S. My choice is a pragmatic one. BR was not my first choice (region free is a big plus for me). Hypocrisy has nothing to do with it. We are dealing with a reality - that BR has gained significant mindshare and momentum. The reasons as to why this is so are fairly obvious and the subject of numerous threads on a ton of forums.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 AM

Out of the 46 HD DVD's i own, i just counted 25 are US imports that i've bought from amazon.

I understand why region-free wouldn't be such a huge selling point over in the States, but for me, here in Aus, it most certainly is. I just think that after all these years where practically every dvd player is either region-free or able to be unlocked, that this kind of thing is really backwards.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:27 AM

Use HTPC, it's easy to bypass regions there.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:01 PM
formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER

out of curiousity what countries are region a, so if i want to do any bluray importing.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDVD DEFENDER View Post
out of curiousity what countries are region a, so if i want to do any bluray importing.
Pretty much most of north america, japan, south east asia (i.e. Hong Kong)...those are the major ones.

The only good reason to get a BD from HK is Infernal Affairs.