Have you looked inside a "japanese blu ray"???? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2008, 02:54 AM

Default Have you looked inside a "japanese blu ray"????

I currently own a sony bdps300 that on the rear of the machine it says "made in japan". So out of curiosity I pop the cover off and what do I find.............chinese parts including but not limited to a pioneer blu ray drive that says made in china right on the top. At least toshiba is honest about where their players are made. I saw one single part that said sony on it and it was a simple patch cord. I might be blind but I could not find a single part inside this machine that said japan on it. Looking at the same model at a retailer recently it now says "made in malaysia" at least that is a little closer geographically right? This possibly costs less to make than a hd dvd player since the hd player does have an intel chip inside of it. I pity those of you caught in the fog like I was for a short time. Keep moving forward and you might see the truth while your waiting for pirates of the carribean to load in 3 minutes ............. literally.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUT OF THE FOG View Post
I currently own a sony bdps300 that on the rear of the machine it says "made in japan". So out of curiosity I pop the cover off and what do I find.............chinese parts including but not limited to a pioneer blu ray drive that says made in china right on the top. At least toshiba is honest about where their players are made. I saw one single part that said sony on it and it was a simple patch cord. I might be blind but I could not find a single part inside this machine that said japan on it. Looking at the same model at a retailer recently it now says "made in malaysia" at least that is a little closer geographically right? This possibly costs less to make than a hd dvd player since the hd player does have an intel chip inside of it. I pity those of you caught in the fog like I was for a short time. Keep moving forward and you might see the truth while your waiting for pirates of the carribean to load in 3 minutes ............. literally.
What is your point? Most electronic circuitry is built in china then assembled elsewhere. Made in Japan is not a lie, they can buy the parts anywhere and if they assemble the final product in Japan then it is made n Japan. Similar to Honda, they have an assembly plant here in the US and they have some models that are made in the USA. Parts are from japan though...so what?

To put it another way. Dell Computers are made in the USA right? Where do you think their motherboards are from? Taiwan, Korea, or China more likely than not. Apple's iPod is built by Foxcon in Taiwan does that make the iPod a terrible product?

Most people, I'd say more than 99% of the people out there don't care where the internals are made. They expect it to work as advertised and if it doesn't then it's the manufacturer who's name is on the packaging that is to blame. If the product works then who cares if the internals are from Bulgaria.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:37 AM

Awesome! Can you maybe.. I don't know.. Slightly change the title again, and post this in a few more forums?

That would be great!

*sarcasm*
Old 01-19-2008, 05:24 AM

if it says made in japan I expect at least a piece of it to be nothing more. is that too much to ask?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:21 AM

If you went back in time 30-40 years ago you could expect something like that. I honestly dont think that "made in" anywhere means much anymore. Production lines are alot more advanced than they used to be so it creates pretty much the same product in different countries. Dont stress out over it.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 AM
analog/digital audio expert

Yes it is too much to ask. Welcome to the global economy.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:00 AM

Actually it should be "Assembled in Japan". Most of the electronic circuity comes from China or Malaysia. The end check and assembling is in Japan however.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:11 PM

Since everyone else has stated the obvious, I'd like to nit-pick this bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUT OF THE FOG View Post
I pity those of you caught in the fog like I was for a short time. Keep moving forward and you might see the truth while your waiting for pirates of the carribean to load in 3 minutes ............. literally.
The Sony player is a dog! Get the Panasonic player; it is much faster.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFrugge View Post
Since everyone else has stated the obvious, I'd like to nit-pick this bit.

The Sony player is a dog! Get the Panasonic player; it is much faster.
I 2nd the panny, I love mine. Is this "FOG" cat some kind of hd-dvd fanboy?