New Panny BD-50 or Sammy UP5500: Receiver question. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Default New Panny BD-50 or Sammy UP5500: Receiver question.

OK. Following the CES announcements of the final profile Panny and the Sammy duel format 5500, I'm scoping out my options for upgrading my receiver. Here's my story. I currently own a Toshiba HD-A1 which is hooked up to an old Onkyo receiver by way of 5.1 analogs. This has allowed my pre-hdmi receiver to play Dolby True-HD audio in 5.1, following an older firmware update to the HD-DVD player. It's my understanding that both the Panny and Sammy will have onboard hi-def audio decoding, correct? If that is the case, do I also need a receiver with onboard decoders such as the 605? I'm thinking that if I scrap the HD-DVD player in favor of the Sammy I probably will need the 605, since the UP5500 only bitstreams by way of HDMI. Am I correct in my assumptions?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:25 AM

I would take the Panny as they have proven they make great players. Since it has an internal decoder, you can still use your receiver.

You would only need to upgrade your receiver if you want hdmi and or the ability to bitstream the latest audio codecs to the receiver for processing
Old 01-18-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
I would take the Panny as they have proven they make great players. Since it has an internal decoder, you can still use your receiver.

You would only need to upgrade your receiver if you want hdmi and or the ability to bitstream the latest audio codecs to the receiver for processing
The problem is that I've got some 30+ HD-DVD titles that I really don't see any reason to get rid of. So if I go with the Panny (which I'm leaning toward since it will have the final BD profile), I need a receiver with both hdmi and 5.1 or 7.1 analog. If I continue using the analogs with the Tosh and use hdmi for the Panny, will I need a receiver like the Onkyo 605 that has onboard Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA? Or will any receiver with 5.1/7.1 analogs and that will do audio over hdmi do the trick? One would assume that since the Panny has onboard decoding, that it's not necessary for the receiver to also have the decoders. But one should never assume...
Old 01-18-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwirving68 View Post
The problem is that I've got some 30+ HD-DVD titles that I really don't see any reason to get rid of. So if I go with the Panny (which I'm leaning toward since it will have the final BD profile), I need a receiver with both hdmi and 5.1 or 7.1 analog. If I continue using the analogs with the Tosh and use hdmi for the Panny, will I need a receiver like the Onkyo 605 that has onboard Dolby True HD and DTS HD-MA? Or will any receiver with 5.1/7.1 analogs and that will do audio over hdmi do the trick? One would assume that since the Panny has onboard decoding, that it's not necessary for the receiver to also have the decoders. But one should never assume...
You would be correct in your assumption. The panny BD50 decodes onboard so as long as the receiver accept PCM over HDMI and has 5.1/7.1 analogs you would get lossless out of both players.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The problem is that I've got some 30+ HD-DVD titles that I really don't see any reason to get rid of.
And you shouldnt get rid of your HD movies. I would keep the A1 or if you want something smaller and faster you can get an A3 cheap.

I would steer clear of the Samsung unless their UP5000 shows some promise and right now I believe it has all sorts of issues.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Thanx for the replies, everyone. The Panny it is. Any suggestions for a receiver with 5.1/7.1 analogs that also does PCM over HDMI?
Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thanx for the replies, everyone. The Panny it is. Any suggestions for a receiver with 5.1/7.1 analogs that also does PCM over HDMI?
Lets start with a budget first.

I personally like the latest Denon receivers. The 2808 and 3808. The 3808 is the one I a plan on upgrading to once I need more HDMI connections.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmDoNut View Post
Lets start with a budget first.

I personally like the latest Denon receivers. The 2808 and 3808. The 3808 is the one I a plan on upgrading to once I need more HDMI connections.
Well, those are both out of my price range. They're nice, but just not in my budget. Speaking of Denon, I was looking on cnet and found the 588. It's a bit more in my price range, but I'm not seeing that it will pass PCM via HDMI. Can anyone confirm?
Old 01-18-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Any ideal when said Panny is going to be available (and price)? I'm waiting on this puppy too.

Denon receivers are quite good but don't over look the Onkyos, I'm quite happy with the little 805 I have.

-A
Old 01-18-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
Any ideal when said Panny is going to be available (and price)? I'm waiting on this puppy too.

Denon receivers are quite good but don't over look the Onkyos, I'm quite happy with the little 805 I have.

-A
No idea whatsoever. I'm going to guess it will be released in the spring and will have a SRP of ~$600. But that's only a guess.

I know that the Onkyos are good, I'm just not interested in throwing down a bunch of cash for a product that has features I won't need.