Suggestions for first blueray player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 07:53 PM

Default Suggestions for first blueray player?

I am looking to purchase a player this Sat. I don't want to buy the ps3 just a stand alone player and was wondering wich player on the market do you HIGHLY RECOMEND.

I know I may have some problems with firmware but want to own the best player on the market for viewing plesure for watching my blueray films.

How is the new Panasonic player for starts?
Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 PM

please search the numerous other threads here.

and LOL @ all the first time posters who immediately say "I don't want a PS3" probably before doing any research on the differences between the PS3 and other currently available players.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 PM

The only player I can recommend right now is a PS3. Because, the PS3 will be upgradeable to Profile 2.0 which will be the finalized Blu-ray spec that includes Picture-in-Picture and internet features and games. The Blu-ray players out right now won't be able to play those features on future discs but they will be able to play the actual movies, if that is all you care about. So if you don't care about the features and only about the movie, I would just get any BDP that has an offer like 5 instantly free. (not mail-in-rebate)
Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakemloose69 View Post
I am looking to purchase a player this Sat. I don't want to buy the ps3 just a stand alone player and was wondering wich player on the market do you HIGHLY RECOMEND.

I know I may have some problems with firmware but want to own the best player on the market for viewing plesure for watching my blueray films.

How is the new Panasonic player for starts?
Im sure most people will agree with me, but the Panasonic is the best stand alone player out right now, I just got it yesterday with my Panasonic Plasma purchase free, I did upgrade the firmware without an issue, load times arent the quickest, but I have a feeling quicker than other stand alones. Of course I would recommend a PS3 right now for future proofing.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 AM

What good is an HD DVD player without the studio support? To add to the original poster's question, I would not get a Samsung BD-p1400. I bought that one last week and it was full of bugs. I had the most recent firmware upgrade and it had issues from menu navigation, black screen with no picture on some dvds, and I had to reset the speaker setup everytime I turned thre power off and on. I took it back and I am waiting for the new Panasonic to be released soon. But if I had to buy one, I think I would go with the PS3.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan View Post
What good is an HD DVD player without the studio support? To add to the original poster's question, I would not get a Samsung BD-p1400. I bought that one last week and it was full of bugs. I had the most recent firmware upgrade and it had issues from menu navigation, black screen with no picture on some dvds, and I had to reset the speaker setup everytime I turned thre power off and on. I took it back and I am waiting for the new Panasonic to be released soon. But if I had to buy one, I think I would go with the PS3.
That's what im hearin about sammys blueray players. My friend owns the bdp-1200 and returned it cause he had so many damn problems even with firmware update.

I will def. pick up panasonics DMP-BD30K. that is the way im going. I want a standalone player.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:21 PM

I have the Panasonic DMP-BD10A, and it's pretty fantastic. With It has upscaling that rivals Reon-equipped machines and decoding of everything but DTS-HD MA means you can use many lossless tracks without an HDMI 1.3 receiver.

The only downside is that the original is only Profile 1.0, so if you're excited about PiP, it's not the player for you. If you could care less (or couldn't care less, ) about that sort of thing, the DMP-BD10A will serve you well.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
I have the Panasonic DMP-BD10A, and it's pretty fantastic. With It has upscaling that rivals Reon-equipped machines and decoding of everything but DTS-HD MA means you can use many lossless tracks without an HDMI 1.3 receiver.

The only downside is that the original is only Profile 1.0, so if you're excited about PiP, it's not the player for you. If you could care less (or couldn't care less, ) about that sort of thing, the DMP-BD10A will serve you well.
yeah that is the downside. I really want the PiP profile 1.1. that is why i want this new panasonic player.

so far I been hearing very positive things on panasonic players.

How are the disc working on the players? New Fox titles, Disney, profile 1.1?
Old 01-17-2008, 12:53 PM

Definitely think of getting a Playstation 3.

Currently, it is the best Blu-ray player you can get.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 PM

dang people, he just said like twice that he dont want a ps3. ive been hearing a lot of good stuff about panny players a lot dou lately.