Question on Blu Ray cases. - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 03:44 PM

Default Question on Blu Ray cases.

I just received 5 Blu Rays today and after removing the multiple stickers and plastic I have sticky residue on the cases.What removes this best?Ive tried spray cleaners but that doesn't seem to work.I havent had this problem on previous discs(altho Ive had it on CD's).Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM

i use a light spray of wd-40 on a cotton cloth and gently rub back and forth untill the residue loosens then final wipe with a soapy cloth that is ever so slightly damp. works for me!
Old 01-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastyear View Post
I just received 5 Blu Rays today and after removing the multiple stickers and plastic I have sticky residue on the cases.What removes this best?Ive tried spray cleaners but that doesn't seem to work.I havent had this problem on previous discs(altho Ive had it on CD's).Any suggestions?
Go to target or walmart and look in the cleaners department for this stuff in an orange bottle called Goo Gone. It's citrus based and will remove the sticky junk from stickers. Also good for removing gum, tar, and any other unwanted marks from a variety of surfaces.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:53 PM

If your really anal, you can go to Sleeve Town and purchase a standardized Blu Ray Case in Bulk.

And change out all of your Blu Ray cases.

Reasons to do this:

1)The cover artwork has print on the back, however most cases have glued on security tags that are impossible to get off.
2)There are many different kinds of cases, dark blue, light blue, ones with little clasps, some without, some with different logos on the front, etc. Wouldn't it be nice for them to all be the same?????
3)Your just an anal prick, that likes a nice clean collection.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 PM

I've found the best way to get off sticker residue is good old Ronsonol lighter fuel. It doesn't leave any kind of weird residue like those goo-gone and goof off things seem to and it's cheap as hell.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:40 PM

Nuts to goo-gone. I used to swear by that stuff but it doesn't do the trick. My copy of 'Apocalypto' will attest to that.

I think I am going to try a number of these things mentioned above. Lighter fluid is interesting....

sleevetown is probably the safest bet - safe in terms of there is no chance I light my hand on fire when cleaning my blu ray case. Nuts to safety!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcArsenal View Post
sleevetown is probably the safest bet - safe in terms of there is no chance I light my hand on fire when cleaning my blu ray case. Nuts to safety!
That's funny!

And yes, sleevetown is very good.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM

Return them to the store and get the HD version of the movie! LOL!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:47 PM

I too hate the sticky residue from 2 of the 3 seals that the super-paranoid studios use. I use alcohol wipes to remove it. My plastic can of MG Chemicals wipes was getting a bit dry so I bought a small bottle of 91% isopropyl alcohol to rewet them. It all works quite well at removing that mess.

Lighter fluid? I'll pass on that!