Will I have audio problems when I buy my Blu-ray player? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 02:06 PM

Default Will I have audio problems when I buy my Blu-ray player?

HI folks,

I just checked my current surround sound/DVD player which is a Pioneer XV-HTD520.

My intention is to purchase a new player around March (my birthday present) but i plan to keep the Pioneer to provide the audio.

In looking at the audio inputs I see standard RCA plugs and one digital coaxial input (Orange color).

I can understand many of the new players may not have the old RCA outputs to go to my old sound system but do most have the digital coaxial output?

If not you can see where this is going, I will have to upgrade my surround sound system at the same time I buy the new player.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
HI folks,

I just checked my current surround sound/DVD player which is a Pioneer XV-HTD520.

My intention is to purchase a new player around March (my birthday present) but i plan to keep the Pioneer to provide the audio.

In looking at the audio inputs I see standard RCA plugs and one digital coaxial input (Orange color).

I can understand many of the new players may not have the old RCA outputs to go to my old sound system but do most have the digital coaxial output?

If not you can see where this is going, I will have to upgrade my surround sound system at the same time I buy the new player.

Thanks.
You'd have to look at the various players around...it's possible that one has the coax option. All of them have HDMI and Optical however. the RCA plugs will only give you stereo sound. Again, look at the players and see. The PS3 only does HDMI or optical, so that eliminates that option.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
You'd have to look at the various players around...it's possible that one has the coax option. All of them have HDMI and Optical however. the RCA plugs will only give you stereo sound. Again, look at the players and see. The PS3 only does HDMI or optical, so that eliminates that option.
Thanks. I was afraid of that.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 AM

There is a digital coax to optical adapter out there.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlade View Post
There is a digital coax to optical adapter out there.
Thank you very much. I did a quick search and sure enough there is.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
How many RCA plugs? Maybe you have a 5.1 analogue input? This will also work with some players!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumwriter View Post
How many RCA plugs? Maybe you have a 5.1 analogue input? This will also work with some players!
Two RCA (right and left) for one Aux input. Currently my STD DVD player is plugged in there.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:09 PM

The bottom priced Sony 300 has all of these connections available. Toslink, coax optical + 6 RCA s (for stereo or full 5.1 analog setups.)
Old 01-20-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w3syt View Post
The bottom priced Sony 300 has all of these connections available. Toslink, coax optical + 6 RCA s (for stereo or full 5.1 analog setups.)
no TrueHD support though from what I understand, along with that no DTS HD MA support.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:37 PM

As I found mentioned on another thread, in using 5.1 analog it may be necessary to bypass your receiver and go directly from the Sony 300 subwoofer output to your powered subwoofer. This sounds illogical, but, in my case it is true. I can not go via my Onkyo receiver. The other 5 functions do work fine . So, I have opted to use a switch near the subwoofer to change cables.