Panasonic BD-50 Preview! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Panasonic BD-50 Preview!

http://www.bigpicturebigsound.com/pa...ces-1372.shtml

This player looks like it will be VERY nice, but at $600 it is still way to pricey for most people.

EDIT: $600 is NOT a confirmed price. I just took this educated guesstimate from the article. Figured people would read the article and see. Thanks to the author for visiting our thread.

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-16-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the link!

$600 is still too high for mass consumers, but it's very close for me to jump into the Blu-Ray waters. The good news is that there is finally a BD player will all the good out there... the price will eventually come down.

I have read reports that this unit will have 5.1 analog out jacks. I wish someone would show a pic of the back of the player. Anyone able to confirm that?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM

I agree. This player will be da shit for sure. lol.
I REALLY want this one also.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Yes, a little pricey but at least for the fans of "the PS3 is the best BD player" - when this player is out then the PS3 will most likely be updated to BD 2.0 and DTS MA decoding.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post

This player looks like it will be VERY nice, but at $600 it is still way to pricey for most people.
Hey, guys, $600 is not the official price. Panasonic hasn't announced that yet. That was just my guess based on the Panasonic rep's statement of a "slight premium" over the DMP-BD30, which has an MSRP of $499. The BD30 is selling for around $400 street price these days so the DB50 may well be less than $600 even at launch.

-CB
Old 01-16-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Yes, a little pricey but at least for the fans of "the PS3 is the best BD player" - when this player is out then the PS3 will most likely be updated to BD 2.0 and DTS MA decoding.
Sony was showing a working PS3 with BD Live support (downloading Godzilla ringtones from the Web, of all things) but did not have a firm date for the firmware release.

As for DTS-MA, I'd be happy enough just with bitstream support in the PS3. That's been available in the DMP-DB30 since November.

-CB
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 AM

At $600 I have no problems with it since it will decode all audio codecs internally and is 2.0 compliant.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoylan View Post
Sony was showing a working PS3 with BD Live support (downloading Godzilla ringtones from the Web, of all things) but did not have a firm date for the firmware release.

As for DTS-MA, I'd be happy enough just with bitstream support in the PS3. That's been available in the DMP-DB30 since November.

-CB
PS3's HDMI chip can't bitstream. Sorry.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art4mad View Post
Thanks for the link!

$600 is still too high for mass consumers, but it's very close for me to jump into the Blu-Ray waters. The good news is that there is finally a BD player will all the good out there... the price will eventually come down.

I have read reports that this unit will have 5.1 analog out jacks. I wish someone would show a pic of the back of the player. Anyone able to confirm that?
Unfortunately the unit was under glass so we couldn't get a good look at the back. I would bet though, that it's a 7.1-channel analog output. Here's a quote from the press release:

"The true to the original source images are complimented by an exceptionally pure, accurate sound achieved through Audio Re-master and integrated decoders for the lossless Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats. Furthermore, the DMP-BD50 can be combined with a 7.1 channel amplifier and speakers for full 7.1 channel surround sound."

Of course, they may have been talking about 7.1-channel support via bitstream, but considering their own upcoming Blu-ray HTIB system will do 7.1 for around $1K, I'd be surprised if the analog outputs of the BD50 are anything less than 7.1-channel.

I'll check in with one of the Panny PR guys and see if he has more details.

-CB
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaler View Post
PS3's HDMI chip can't bitstream. Sorry.
It does bitstream legacy codecs already over HDMI (core DD and DTS). Are you saying it will not be able to be upgraded to support next gen bitstreams? Is this confirmed from Sony because I've never been able to get a straight answer out of them?

-CB