ps3 audio - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Default ps3 audio

is there a way to send audio out both the optical audio (to my surround sound) and through my hdmi (tv)?
Old 01-15-2008, 11:28 PM

really nobody knows an answer to this who is more familiar wtih the ps3? all you have to say is "not possible" and gain a post or say "yah you do it like this"
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 PM

Last time I checked when I still used the optical cable... no. But I haven't used optical in a while so maybe they updated it to allow it to send audio via both HDMI and optical at the same time.

It was weird though, sometimes it used to send the audio via both because I used to have HDMI for video and optical for sound... on some occasions I got audio from my TV and the receiver...
Old 01-16-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't have one (yet) but here's a reason it's not a good idea:

The sound will be slightly off in timing coming from your TV: it will sound like an echo chamber, or at least this is what happened with me with my HD DVD player hooked up to both the TV via HDMI and the sound system via optical. (I forgot to turn the TV's sound to 0).

It may be because my TV converts the 5.1 sound to 2.1 Stereo, and this generates a very small, but non-zero delay, whereas the receiver doesn't need to convert anything, and so its sound is ever-so-slightly ahead.

I think that even if there weren't a delay issue, you would still notice audio artifacts due to the fact that you would have two separate hardware components driving two separate sets of speakers.

Now, if all you want is to have the potential to either run sound from your TV's speakers, or your speaker system, but not both simultaneously, and you wanted to switch back and forth without having to configure everything, then there's no problem.

I still can't tell you if it's possible, but I don't see why it wouldn't be.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 PM

Yes, it is possible.