Setting for PS3 Upconversion - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 01:09 PM

Default Setting for PS3 Upconversion

Hi guys, i was wondering what setting i should set my PS3 up for the best upconversion possible. I don't remember exactly under what setting i saw it but i remember there was a setting that said normal and one that says double. I tried putting it on double first, but then when i put in a SD disk it put the black bars on the side of the picture along with the ones on the top and bottom. I tried it with the original Ghostbusters DVD that i had. So i have to ask if there's a certain setting or anything that i need to change on it to have it set for that as i don't see why it would have a double resolution setting if it couldn't output it properly. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini316 View Post
Hi guys, i was wondering what setting i should set my PS3 up for the best upconversion possible. I don't remember exactly under what setting i saw it but i remember there was a setting that said normal and one that says double. I tried putting it on double first, but then when i put in a SD disk it put the black bars on the side of the picture along with the ones on the top and bottom. I tried it with the original Ghostbusters DVD that i had. So i have to ask if there's a certain setting or anything that i need to change on it to have it set for that as i don't see why it would have a double resolution setting if it couldn't output it properly. Thanks.
the best setting for 1080i tv's is normal...it will upscale dvds quite nicely..
the double resolution setting is for 720p tvs,
usually unless your tv is 720p you are just getting a standard definition signal on the double scale setting.

is the version of ghostbusters anamorphic, or is it one of the early "matted' widescreen dvds?? if its matted then that would explain the top and bottom as well as side bars..i have a few older dvds like this..

thats why i ask about the ghostbusters dvd...it sounds like this is the case
otherwise if its an anamorphic widescreen picture then im not sure..

the terms "normal" and "double" are not very accurate or fitting terms for what the functions actually do...sony should make an onscreen prompt availible to see when and how upscaling is enabled at the time...while playing.

hope this helps!!
Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM

When the SDDVD movie is playing, access the AV settings with your controller (green triangle button - I think) where you can set the level of noise reduction which I have found very useful when watching SD DVDs. This setting isn't found within the main XMB bar only within the movie. If I'm not explaining myself well that's because I'm just finding things myself. You can also change the soundtrack from here as well without going back to menu screen for a SDDVD.

I can't speak technically to RGB vs Ycc... setting but you should play with those to see if your tv picture improves when you increase those. From some reading, going from lower to higher in visual setting is RGB limited, RGB full, Ycc, Ycc Super white. Again, the more technical can explain, I just used trial and error. I have a sony kds 60a2020 and found the improvement to be significant changing the PS3 default setting of RGB limited to Ycc... Superwhite.

I have been rewatching LOTR extended SDDVD editions with amazement.

On another note, this PS3 is really amazing as a media center. I've been exploring the wireless connection with my computer that has all my music and photos. It's been great seeing my photos on the tv, also selecting some music to play in the background, all without copying or burning to cds or usb keys.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:39 PM

Yes, the version of the movie is anamorphic. It plays fine when i change it back to normal. I just didn't know if the normal was maybe standard def output and the doublt was the upconversion or something to that effect. I had the PS3 automatically detect the resolution setting and it set it at 1080i. Do you think it would give a better picture setting it at 720p for SD and putting the conversion on double? I didn't know that you can change the noise reduction in the movie...that's an awesome feature, i'll have to try that when i get home. I did know about the triangle menu though which is why i brought back the blu ray remote after i found that since it's just as easy pretty much to use that over the remote and save the $30 for another movie. Thanks gents, you've been most helpful.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 AM

No, you will get best picture by setting the PS3 to the same resolution as your TV. Otherwise, the picture gets scaled twice. The PS3 manual explains the various settigns

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/PS3/Manuals
Old 01-16-2008, 12:10 AM

Adjust settings for upscaled output when playing a DVD. Upscaling is a feature that can be used to enable content recorded at SD resolution (NTSC: 480p / 480i, PAL: 576p / 576i) to be displayed in HD resolution (1080p / 1080i / 720p). Because the video content of commercial DVDs is recorded in SD resolution, higher resolution video can be achieved by enabling upscaled output.

Off Set to disable upscaled output.
Double Scale* Set to upscale and display with double horizontal and vertical dimensions without changing the proportions.
Normal Set to upscale and display at a size that matches the screen size.
Full Screen Set to upscale and display at full screen by changing proportions and stretching the image

* This option can be used only when the video output setting of the PS3 system is set to 1080p or 1080i.

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...ings.html#2449