Panasonic BD-30 and "Sunshine" - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Default Panasonic BD-30 and "Sunshine"

Ok I finally went out and got this disc because I had to see if I would encounter any of the problems people have been discussing on here and at AVS. I just recently purchased this player and have NOT done any firmware updates. I still have no idea what firmware is currently on my player, but assume it is 1.1.
Anyway, I put in the movie and have to admit I was initially concerned because the player definitely seemed to stuggle a bit with loading the disc. The word "loading" appeared on the screen for a fairly lengthy amount of time before it dissapeared and was replaced by a spinning white circle icon. Anyway, finally after another maybe 20 seconds or so the warning screen came up. From there I think maybe 2 more screens appeared before the menu finally booted up. After hitting "ok" to start, the movie finally began to play. I watched the entire film and everything played flawlessly except for 2 instances of brief maybe 1 second pauses. After each of these pauses I went back to see if they would occur in the same spot again. I had the same pauses occur, but also had instances where they did NOT occur again. The only other time I thought there might be a problem was at the 1 hour and 37 minute mark. There is a bunch of crazy editing at this point in the film with lots of slow motion and image freezes. Personally I believe one could easily be fooled into thinking they were having playback issues if they do not watch the time counter closely. I rewatched an entire 6 minute span and ONLY kept my eye on the counter to see if I could detect any pauses or glitches of any kind. To my eye, the counter moved correctly, and at no time did I feel the disc was not playing correctly. I heard NO audio pops or glitches of any kind at any time during the entire film. Unfortunately, I was unable to enjoy the film in surround sound because I am currently without an amplifier. So I was only watching through the tv speakers.
Anyway, that was my experience and I was very relieved obviously that everything seemed to go almost flawlessly from what I could tell. I plan to test the pip features later on today.
NOTE: I am not doubting that people have been having problems, but hopefully it is indeed an issue resulting from the more recent firmware update, and will be resolved soon.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:12 AM

Default Sunshine - two 1 sec pauses

I just wanted to see if the 2 pauses you spoke of in your post were at the same time I noticed them. The first pause for me was at 39min 24sec and the second at 1hr 37min 18sec. Now I know that there is at least one pause for the dual layer switch however, not sure what the second pause is for. If I rewind just a few secs before these points and press play it doesn't pause. I have firmware 1.3. The disc plays great minus those 2 pauses. PIP works nice and plays fine and all secondary audio works nicely as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Ok I finally went out and got this disc because I had to see if I would encounter any of the problems people have been discussing on here and at AVS. I just recently purchased this player and have NOT done any firmware updates. I still have no idea what firmware is currently on my player, but assume it is 1.1.
Anyway, I put in the movie and have to admit I was initially concerned because the player definitely seemed to stuggle a bit with loading the disc. The word "loading" appeared on the screen for a fairly lengthy amount of time before it dissapeared and was replaced by a spinning white circle icon. Anyway, finally after another maybe 20 seconds or so the warning screen came up. From there I think maybe 2 more screens appeared before the menu finally booted up. After hitting "ok" to start, the movie finally began to play. I watched the entire film and everything played flawlessly except for 2 instances of brief maybe 1 second pauses. After each of these pauses I went back to see if they would occur in the same spot again. I had the same pauses occur, but also had instances where they did NOT occur again. The only other time I thought there might be a problem was at the 1 hour and 37 minute mark. There is a bunch of crazy editing at this point in the film with lots of slow motion and image freezes. Personally I believe one could easily be fooled into thinking they were having playback issues if they do not watch the time counter closely. I rewatched an entire 6 minute span and ONLY kept my eye on the counter to see if I could detect any pauses or glitches of any kind. To my eye, the counter moved correctly, and at no time did I feel the disc was not playing correctly. I heard NO audio pops or glitches of any kind at any time during the entire film. Unfortunately, I was unable to enjoy the film in surround sound because I am currently without an amplifier. So I was only watching through the tv speakers.
Anyway, that was my experience and I was very relieved obviously that everything seemed to go almost flawlessly from what I could tell. I plan to test the pip features later on today.
NOTE: I am not doubting that people have been having problems, but hopefully it is indeed an issue resulting from the more recent firmware update, and will be resolved soon.
Thanks for the info.I only had a complete lock up with the first viewing of Sunshine.With the second viewing I only noticed a couple of brief pauses.I called Panasonic and was told that there is an on going investigation into the new releases and why they are causing player plroblems.As he put it it is industry wide and that the studios are putting the movies out without checkng the playability first.He also said that he would not do the current update because it only addresses the problem with the movie Superbad.According to him we should wait for the next update which they are working on now.Best of all (at least for me) they are releashing a receiver soon to go with the BD30.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I beleive most people having playback problems had the audio set to bitstream which, if you are using your TV speakers, it doesn't sound like you were doing. Off topic, but how was the movie? From the HDD review, it sounded like a rental for me and Netflix has it stuck in "very long wait".

BTW - what happened to your receiver? In the shop for a firmware update?
Old 01-15-2008, 08:20 AM

I have contacted Panasonic about the issue and have opened a case number. I should get a response sometime today as their engineers are looking in to the audio drop-outs and low LPCM issues that have been reported by owners. I will come back to post what they've e-mailed me once I have an answer from them.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:29 AM

Scanner--yes I would say that the pauses I experienced WERE at the exact same place you referenced.
Cochise-- it is true that I certainly was not "bitstreaming" .my old receiver went on the fritz and I have yet to get the Yamaha 1800. (as I mentioned in another thread I am debating getting one of the 5080 Kuros at BB and if I get that set soon, I am uncertain when I will be able to get the receiver.)
I guess given this clarification I will have to test this title again when I get my audio worked out.
I don't think I realized that MOST of the problems were only occurring with the "bistreaming" ability being used.
regarding the actual film--I thought the movie was pretty good for a current Hollywood film although overly melodramatic for its own good unfortunately Also, I'm a big sci-fi fan and if you just consider all the sci-fi movies that have ever been made, I would have to say this is certainly one of the better ones overall. There is no doubt that the pq aided my enjoyment of the film. This is one of the best hd discs I have watched on either format. very impressive.

Last edited by Arkadin; 01-15-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 AM

RE: Actual movie.... As far as modern sci-fi goes this was good - until the last 15-20 minutes. This has been noted elsewhere as well. Without spoiling anything for those wanting to see the movie, it just pulled a fast one without any even semi plausible explanation. At least in Event Horizon, they had the star drive or whatever that caused the ship to essentially vanish... But overall it was an enjoyable film.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Banned

Default good till the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
RE: Actual movie.... As far as modern sci-fi goes this was good - until the last 15-20 minutes. This has been noted elsewhere as well. Without spoiling anything for those wanting to see the movie, it just pulled a fast one without any even semi plausible explanation. At least in Event Horizon, they had the star drive or whatever that caused the ship to essentially vanish... But overall it was an enjoyable film.
I enjoyed the movie except for the ending..won't give it away..looked and sounded terrific.... no play back issues on my panny 10ak...I used the analog outs to my pre-amp so sound was top notch...loading took forever ..so it's not the player ..just another damn fox movie with that spinning white circle...you just not sure if it's gonna load and play..but it does eventually
Old 01-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Anyone have issues with this movie playing on PS3?? Just curious.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 PM

nothing has been reported that I have heard about, but of course, the PS3 CANNOT bitstream, so that is also something to consider maybe.
that seems to be where the problems are coming from, though I'm not sure why--even if the PS3 could bitstream--that would change things any. It would be interesting to see, but since it's not going to happen, I guess we'll never know.
It now appears that this issue is occurring only with the NEW firmware + bitstreaming also from what I can tell.