Full Screen Blue Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM

Default Full Screen Blue Ray

I purchased PS3 for blue ray capability but am disappointed after viewing my first blue ray disc (FLY Boys). I've always enjoyed full screen format over wide screen format. It's similar to watching HD TV. Are there any blue ray discs available in full screen format? My Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV doesn't allow changing format when viewing blue ray disk and I can't seem to find anyplace on PS3 to make such a change. Is there a way to get full screen format with blue ray? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph
Old 01-14-2008, 09:14 PM

All BD (or HD DVD) discs are released in their OAR (original aspect ratio).

Your HDTV is 1.78:1.

Movies today are shot in two formats: 2.35:1 and 1.85:1 (and occasionally 2.40:1)

1.85:1 films will fill the entire screen. Anything larger than that will have some black bars on the top and bottom.

Some older movies like Casablanca (currently HD DVD only) have an OAR of 1.33:1 or "full screen" assuming you have a 4x3 TV. These movies will have bars on the left and right of the image.

Also, I would recommend reading this article on aspect ratios. You may like filling your screen to get the largest image but that destroys the composition of the frame, meaning that you are not seeing the image that the director indented.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/764
Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphf View Post
I purchased PS3 for blue ray capability but am disappointed after viewing my first blue ray disc (FLY Boys). I've always enjoyed full screen format over wide screen format. It's similar to watching HD TV. Are there any blue ray discs available in full screen format? My Mitsubishi DLP 1080p TV doesn't allow changing format when viewing blue ray disk and I can't seem to find anyplace on PS3 to make such a change. Is there a way to get full screen format with blue ray? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ralph
Why would you want to cut off the sides of your pic? You have a widescreen TV and prefer full screen?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:

Thanks,

Ralph
I'm assuming you are referring to the 4:3 aspect used on Full Screen DVDs which would actually cause vertical black bars on the left and right of your widescreen TV - which would NOT solve your problem. You can zoom into the movie using your PS3 to fill in that empty space BUT KEEP IN MIND you are going to be cutting off the sides of the movie doing this and is no different than what a Full Screen DVD does to achieve full screen in a square TV. Most movie fans look down on Full Screen format since the movie frame is cropped and there can be a significant lose of content originally shown on screen.

Check this out to read more about what I'm talking about

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Yeah dude, full screen does mean that your entire screen is filled. It cuts off the sides in order to eliminate the need for the letterbox space on the top and bottom. You know when it says in the beginning "this film has been formatted to fit your screen"? It just means they butchered that shit up.

edit: damn you MrEnglish!! *shakes fist*
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
Yeah dude, full screen does mean that your entire screen is filled. It cuts off the sides in order to eliminate the need for the letterbox space on the top and bottom. You know when it says in the beginning "this film has been formatted to fit your screen"? It just means they butchered that shit up.

I agree with the butchered remark.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM

This has to be the funniest thread i've read in a while (not trying to sound mean or anything)
Old 01-15-2008, 02:23 AM
5meohd

i am constantly telling my friends about this... and occasionally i will be at stores.. and actually hear people.. like the other day at a used place... a mom yelled to her son "did you want full screen or widescreen" the kid looked at his friend and his friend said "get the fullscreen, those black bars are stupid"

do people like when mtv only plays 3 minutes of a 6 min song ??

would someone want to have paintings with 30% of it cut off ??

i just dont get it
Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned

Quote:

Thanks,

Ralph