New PS3 owner picture quality question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-14-2008, 09:23 AM

Default New PS3 owner picture quality question

Hi

After reading this forum for a while I thought I would go ahead and buy a 40gb PS3 as a blu ray player.

I have it connected to a Samsung HDTV using a HDMI cable. I have just tried Underworld:Evolution and wasn't overly happy with the picture. It reminded me of watching a video in a computer game. Warm and flesh colours were the worst - instead of looking natural, the colours didn't seem to blend together, but could be seen as areas of gradually differing shades. Smoke and background objects also appeared like this. I hope I have decribed what I am seeing correctly.

I have tried changing the various video settings, but this has made no difference.

Does anyone have any advice?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

Try putting in Spider-Man 3, and see what that looks like!
Old 01-14-2008, 09:34 AM

I thought U:E had one of the best PQ's for an early BD. I don't really know what your expecting from the flesh tones as everyone in the movie seems a bit pale since they're suppose to be not human.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtsmith29 View Post
Hi

After reading this forum for a while I thought I would go ahead and buy a 40gb PS3 as a blu ray player.

I have it connected to a Samsung HDTV using a HDMI cable. I have just tried Underworld:Evolution and wasn't overly happy with the picture. It reminded me of watching a video in a computer game. Warm and flesh colours were the worst - instead of looking natural, the colours didn't seem to blend together, but could be seen as areas of gradually differing shades. Smoke and background objects also appeared like this. I hope I have decribed what I am seeing correctly.

I have tried changing the various video settings, but this has made no difference.

Does anyone have any advice?
I would suggest reading the PQ portion of the disc review on this site in the BD section. It isn't your PS3, it is the style of the movie itself.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:22 AM

Hi again. I have attatched 2 photos of what my Return of the King DVD looks like played in my PS3, as it clearly illustrates what I am trying to describe. My blu-ray Underworld:Evolution looks like this at times, especially in any warm colours.

Any ideas how to solve this? I'm stumped.
Attached Thumbnails
New PS3 owner picture quality question-01.jpg   New PS3 owner picture quality question-02.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 04:03 AM

I would try to use a different HDMI cable and see if its a cable issue. That or if another cable is not available hook the ps3 up via component and see if the issue repeats itself. If it does it is likely a video setting. If it does not it is an HDMI cable problem. Dunno if this is the fix but its worth trying.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 AM

I just tried a different HDMI cable with no luck. I don't have a component cable but tried connecting the PS3 to the scart socket in the TV and the distortions were gone! Obviously it was only displayed in 576i so maybe I should get a component cable and see how that works. Maybe it is a HDMI issue between the PS3 and the TV?
Attached Thumbnails
New PS3 owner picture quality question-03.jpg   New PS3 owner picture quality question-04.jpg  
Old 01-15-2008, 06:00 AM

Check your HDMI out settings. Try outputting to 720p or 1080i as maybe there is a setting in there where your PS3 is trying to output to a higher resolution then possible. It would be odd that the ps3 would have an HDMI problem, at least from what I've read, and is more likely a setup issue.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:47 AM

I tried the HDMI cable again and selecting different settings but the picture is the same. I have included 2 pictures of my settings to have a look at, and also one of what Underworld Evo blu ray looks like.

What should I select in each of the menu settings to try and solve this? Is it something to do with not being able to deselect 576p in the menu? I might have to settle for a component cable.
Attached Thumbnails
New PS3 owner picture quality question-05.jpg   New PS3 owner picture quality question-06.jpg   New PS3 owner picture quality question-07.jpg  

Last edited by pvtsmith29; 01-15-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:40 AM

I have to wonder why 576p is even an option. That said try selecting 720p (if your tv supports it via HDMI) and also when you are watching the movie try to change the aspect ratio or set the default ratio to the 1080i. I haven't had a PS3 in a while but I remember having problems watching 1080p movies in 720p and I had to change the format to 1080i. i think you are having that problem.