thinking of going blu - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2008, 07:49 PM

Default thinking of going blu

*edit* I have been thinking of getting a Samsung BD-P1400, or Sony BDP-S300. I'm leaning more towards the samsung though. I don't watch the special features parts of the dvds. I know both of these players are profile 1.0, but I'm wondering if they will play profile 2.0 movies? I don't want to buy one of these 2 and the profile 2.0 movies wont play on them. I have also been looking at the Panasonic DMP-BD30, but the other 2 players are cheaper than the BD30. At least where I've been looking online to buy. I probably won't buy any of these players til March or April unless I get extra money from selling stuff on ebay. I don't know what player to get, the samsung or the sony, (as i mentioned above) and if it will play the profile 2.0 movies?

I have an HD a2 player right now. Alot of the movies I want are on blu ray's side. I'm wondering what are my cheapest options? Buying a used blu ray player on ebay? What blu ray dvd player would be the best to buy? It took me about 3 - 4 months to save up for my hdtv, and I was lucky enough to be able to buy an hd dvd player with 7 movies, with one paycheck. I only get about $50 - $100 a month to save up, the rest I have to pay my bills with. I'm afraid if I buy a blu ray player now that since it's still new, I'll have more problems with that than my a2 player.

Last edited by untitled; 01-21-2008 at 01:16 AM. Reason: didn't want to make a new thread about the same topic
Old 01-13-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled View Post
I have an HD a2 player right now. Alot of the movies I want are on blu ray's side. I'm wondering what are my cheapest options? Buying a used blu ray player on ebay? What blu ray dvd player would be the best to buy? It took me about 3 - 4 months to save up for my hdtv, and I was lucky enough to be able to buy an hd dvd player with 7 movies, with one paycheck. I only get about $50 - $70 a month to save up, the rest I have to pay my bills with. I'm afraid if I buy a blu ray player now that since it's still new, I'll have more problems with that than my a2 player.
If you buy a PS3 you will not have any disk related issues, but you won't be able to bitstream HD audio.

If you wait for a while there will be more players out with profile v2.0 and you will have more selection and more time to save up.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:59 PM

Waiting for the 2.0 seems like a more reasonable thing to do now I guess. Plus as you mentioned it will give me time to save up more money.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Waiting for the 2.0 seems like a more reasonable thing to do now I guess. Plus as you mentioned it will give me time to save up more money.
Right. The PS3 is right now the only player that is guaranteed to support profile 2.0 with an update later in the year.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdrdredd View Post
Right. The PS3 is right now the only player that is guaranteed to support profile 2.0 with an update later in the year.
I'm picky about the PS3 though. So I'm just going to go with a standalone.

Also, I edited the original post for more feedback about 2 standalone players.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
I'm picky about the PS3 though. So I'm just going to go with a standalone.

Also, I edited the original post for more feedback about 2 standalone players.
The sony can't decode or bitstream TrueHD or DTS HD MA and loads god awful slow, the Samsung freezes with newer disks and sometimes flat out won't play them but tends to load slightly faster. They both will playback the movie in a profile v1.1 or v2.0 disk, but just won't access the special features specific to the profile standard. Again though, the samsung has some issues even playing these new disks. There is a new firmware out there from them, but who knows if it'll work.

Panasonic BD-30 is the only choice in stand alones. Or just bite the bullet and grab a PS3.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 PM

I've heard there are still discs with issues even with the latest firmware for the 1400.