DVD-Audio VS. SA-CD Repeat - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2008, 11:01 AM

Default DVD-Audio VS. SA-CD Repeat

Has anybody compared this current war to the DVD-Audio and SA-CD battle? Both trying their best to be the replacement for the compact disc.Best Buy had tons of both formats now you can hardly find either.Yet the CD is still here.Any comments?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:21 AM

I think that format war really killed it, people were confused, there was very limited support and the disks cost a lot more. lets just hope there is not a repeat of that.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM

There was another big problem facing DVD-Audio and SACD that no one thinks of: how people listen to music. Most people do not just sit down with a glass of wine, relax, and listen to music in their living rooms. It's often used as a backdrop for something else--housework, homework, other business stuff, and especially, driving. DVD-Audio and SACD failed to get into car stereo systems, automatically taking away the primary place where people listen to music. Furthermore, with computers unable to play the discs due to limited software, people couldn't listen while working at their desks either.

People just couldn't listen to DVD-A and SACD in the places where they usually listen to music, so interest in it was doomed from the start. Compare that to how many devices the average person has that can play a CD.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:23 PM

thats a very good point, portability really won out over quality and people did not want to purchase the same music twice
Old 01-14-2008, 04:01 PM

portability was definitely the limiting factor
confusion over formats played a small part

Sony also shot themselves in the foot. They could have made every cd sold by sony an SACD and sold for normal prices, but instead opted not to. very much like the HD DVD/combo debate. I still love SACD for classical music and buy discs regularly, but obviously it's becoming tougher and tougher to get a hold of.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM

The DVD-A v. SACD format war is very similar to this HD disc format war. Fortunately, we should see an end to the Blu-ray v. HD DVD format war before there is a settlement on dual format tiny niche status. Here is a recent article that compares the forgotten better than CD format war with the better than DVD format war.

http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01...uper-audio-cd/

Chris
Old 01-14-2008, 04:32 PM

The article only looks at it from a surface perspective of "these are new higher quality discs than what we had." He does bring up the very valid point that a selling point of DVD-A and SACD was multichannel audio at a time when few people could really take advantage of that--cars have multichannel speakers, but there were never any DVD-A or SACD car units.

Content was also an issue as well. I got a computer with one of those fancy Audigy 2 cards with DVD Audio support and looked into trying out a few discs. I couldn't find much music I wanted to buy. Most of the titles were limited to older classic rock albums and classical music. These titles were probably meant to appeal to middle-aged people who were the most likely to buy into new technology, but it didn't do much for me. Pop and stuff that appealed to me when I was 17 wasn't available. I bought one disc, tried it out, and found that because I couldn't listen to it all the places I wanted to, it wasn't worth it.

DVD-A and SACD really appealed to a small percentage of the music market because of its titles and lack of widespread portability that the CD had. The rise of MP3 at the same time was also a death blow--you could make a CD into MP3s and vice versa, but you could do neither for DVD-A and SACD. Hybrid SACDs were a start, but if I remember correctly, you couldn't copy them to MP3 at all. Given these facts, it shouldn't be a surprise that neither format went anywhere. I never remember seeing an ad for either format on TV or in major magazines. HD DVD and Blu-ray have done a pretty good job of getting their names out in the world.

Movies are a different game than music. People use each media differently, and that really factors into how interested they will be in something new. If the new one forces them to change how they use the product, then they're not going to be interested. If someone tried to sell you a car that got 60 MPG but couldn't drive on freeways, would you really be interested? You might not drive on freeways often, but if you wanted to and couldn't, it would take you forever to get anywhere. There'd also be a large segment of the population that the car wouldn't even appeal to. Someone who drives 30 miles to work on the freeway each day would like to save money on gas, but I'm sure they wouldn't want to increase their commute by 30-60 minutes to do it.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:47 PM

I am the market for both and I see many similarities. SACD and DVD-A tried to either supplement or replace CD, an audio format in basically 100% of homes by offering a higher quality more expensive alternative. The music companies needed something to help since CD was a mature product and was beginning to decline. The movie studios want to supplement or replace DVD, which is in about 98% of homes in the US, with a higher quality more expensive alternative. The hurdles for both transitions are exactly the same and neither could do anything as long as two formats existed. CD and DVD are good enough for the majority of consumers.

I think that if only SACD had been introduced and consumers could have understood without the confusion and reluctance that comes with a format war, the format could have done much better. As it is, there have been over 5,000 releases and now it is basically limited as a niche format for the classical music market and to a lesser extent, jazz.

Consumers needed a better quality audio system to take advantage of SACD and need an HDTV to take advantage of Blu-ray. Of course Blu-ray can handle everything, high resolution surround sound and HDTV so I hope it can find success where the other three couldn't. It is far from clear that will happen, but it could and I would be happy if the other three just disappear and give Blu-ray a chance.

Chris
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM

I agree that there was limited selections available on both formats.I have a DVD-Audio disc of Pat Benatar "Live From Front Row" in the lossless 5.1 format and it sounds amazing.If the Blu-ray audio tracks sound anything like it I can't wait to get a receiver with the correct processing.I currently have DTS-ES and Dolby-EX decoding.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:29 AM
5meohd

yeah... i remember when my death metal albums had a double disc with the dvd-audio and i thought it was dumb.. cause i thought it was just the cd that could only be played in a dvd player ??? then i got into dvds and surround sound... wow was I in for a suprise.... check out Pig Destroyers... "Natasha" its the creepiest use of 5.1 I have ever heard.... its a bonus on there album "terrifyer"

and by the way.. there are car stereos with dvd audio playback by the way... not sure if you were saying.. back then.. or ever.. sorry