New to Blu - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 AM

Question New to Blu

I've been looking into HD for a long time now, and though HD DVD imo is the better format it looks like I'm having to go Blu due to the Warner announcement (a fav studio for me). I'm on a pretty tight budget and was wondering what people would suggest to play the discs on. I don't really want a PS3 but it looks like the best bet as I'm worried about this profile buisness.
Also, what are some good starter titles?
I was thinking of buying Ratatouille although I allready own it on DVD.
Is there any 'bundles' for the PS3 with blu ray movies? I really am not interested in the gaming side of the PS3.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by $Bill View Post
I've been looking into HD for a long time now, and though HD DVD imo is the better format it looks like I'm having to go Blu due to the Warner announcement (a fav studio for me). I'm on a pretty tight budget and was wondering what people would suggest to play the discs on. I don't really want a PS3 but it looks like the best bet as I'm worried about this profile buisness.
Also, what are some good starter titles?
I was thinking of buying Ratatouille although I allready own it on DVD.
Is there any 'bundles' for the PS3 with blu ray movies? I really am not interested in the gaming side of the PS3.
I bought my Blu-ray player right before Christmas but wish I had waited awhile.Just be aware that BLu-ray is not like DVD.I have a DVD player in my bedroom(the first one I ever bought at a whopping $672) and it will play any disc I put in it,new or old.Sadly, Blu-ray requires firmware updates and is prone to freezing.Plus installing updates has been known to cause other problems.I wish I had waited another year before taking the plunge myself. If you are looking at a player I would consider Panasonic or if you want something cheaper I saw a Sony at Wal-mart for like $380. Just be aware this is still a new format and the bugs are not all worked out yet.
Old 01-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've studied the two formats and really wish I could take up HD DVD as it seems a hell of alot more stable. I just can't see HD DVD lasting long now.
I'll have a look at the panasonic players. Thanks !
Old 01-13-2008, 10:44 AM

If you get a PS3 it will play everything, never freeze, support all the profiles up to v2.0, is a supurb upconversion player, can play xvid and divx if you have any of those videos, and loads faster than any stand alone on the market right now.

It's the best bet for most people IMO.

The PS3 qualifies for the 5 free Blu-Ray movies by mail offer from Sony. The $399 model also comes with a copy of Spiderman 3 on Blu-Ray in the box.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Red face

I think I'll stick with a PS3, looked at the Panasonic players and they're way out of my price range.
Don't really want to get the PS3 with spiderman as I want the trilogy and from what I can see they are not availible seperatly?? 5 free discs sounds good !
Old 01-13-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I think I'll stick with a PS3, looked at the Panasonic players and they're way out of my price range.
Don't really want to get the PS3 with spiderman as I want the trilogy and from what I can see they are not availible seperatly?? 5 free discs sounds good !
If price is your problem why don't you just get a Sony SA player?I saw one at Wal-mart for about $380.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Why don't you just eBay Spiderman 3 or offer to Trade/Sell in the forum here? No, the first two SM are available only in the trilogy.

One caveat about the PS3 - what kind of receiver to you have? The PS3 only outputs audio via HDMI or digital optical (Toslink). Optical is bandwidth limited - you can only get DVD quality Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1; you will only get 2.0 stereo with PCM audio tracks or TrueHD tracks decoded into PCM by the PS3. If you have a receiver with HDMI audio, you'll be OK - except with the Sony STR DG 710, which the cluster f*cks @ Sony limited to digital optical performance.

And I don't recommend the Sony S300/301 (301 is the Costco model) - slow loading and no TrueHD decoding.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
...you will only get 2.0 stereo with PCM audio tracks or TrueHD tracks decoded into PCM by the PS3.
Can't you set up the PS3 to output bitstream through optical and get DVD-quality DD-5.1 and DTS-5.1? I believe this is how my A2 works, and I'm strongly considering getting the PS3 -- but not if I can only get 2.0 sound because my receiver doesn't have HDMI.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
Can't you set up the PS3 to output bitstream through optical and get DVD-quality DD-5.1 and DTS-5.1? I believe this is how my A2 works, and I'm strongly considering getting the PS3 -- but not if I can only get 2.0 sound because my receiver doesn't have HDMI.
Correct - my sentence before the one you quoted. You can get DVD quality DD 5.1 & DTS 5.1, either by letting the PS3 decode it, or by setting optical output to bitstream and let your receiver decode it. You're only limited to 2.0 stereo if you try to play an uncompressed PCM track found on many BDs - most Disney & many Sont releases. But, any BD with PCM also has a DD5.1 audio track.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookcase View Post
Yes if you select bitstream and playback a TrueHD or DTS HD track you get the core Dolby 640Kbps or DTS 1.5Mbps.