Cheaper Blu-ray Players? When?!?! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM

Default Cheaper Blu-ray Players? When?!?!

Does anyone know anything about when more cost friendly Blu-Ray players will be hitting the market? I got my xbox add-on cuz the price was right! Now I don't care who wins the format war, but I want reasonably priced access to both formats. Any rumours that can give me hope?
Old 02-14-2007, 11:07 PM

It will take some time before technology gets cheaper. You don't want to do what the 360 HD DVD does - because its not HDMI.

Any way, I think the best way to make this happen, if Sony made a specialized PS3 that was aim directly at Blu-ray play back. This is likely possible in a year and can be cheaper, because I saw indications that Cell processor is going 65nm and even 45nm - they could likely use a less expensive GPU - because a dedicated Blu-ray player would not need as much horse power.

Removed game stuff, hard drive, controller and use RF Remote. If done right they could lilely get to $300 or so.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Sounds good...

Im looking for a cheaper stand-alone. Because I would think that the stand-alone would eventually cost less. I guess it might take a while. I can hardly keep up with all the games one one system, let alone two. But if the PS3 is going to consistently be the cheapest player... oh darn, I guess Ill just have to buy one. Oh and Im not too convinced HDMI is a necessity yet, but then I dont have too much experience with it either...
Old 02-15-2007, 02:48 AM

Not for a while. I would say $499 (ps3) is the cheapest your going to see for a while. Still though, in some ways, its the most advanced too with a processor, ability to update and grow and adapt while other players cant do that
Old 02-15-2007, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
Any way, I think the best way to make this happen, if Sony made a specialized PS3 that was aim directly at Blu-ray play back. This is likely possible in a year and can be cheaper, because I saw indications that Cell processor is going 65nm and even 45nm - they could likely use a less expensive GPU - because a dedicated Blu-ray player would not need as much horse power.
Ok, this is about the 10th time I've read something like this and it has got to be one of the dumbest theorys yet. So your saying Sony should make another version of the Playstation 3, yet remove all gaming aspects of it and focus strictly on movie playback? Thats called a damn stand alone player, oh yea, Sony alreay has one. Take away the gaming and how much will Sony save on the player? $150? $200? If that. So the non-Playstation PS3 would cost oh $600-$650 to make. There you go with a $1000 retail price. Oh, that would be the BDP S1.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:26 AM

the first gen sammys I think are hitting below the $400 for the refurbs.

when the second gen sammy is released Id expect the first gen sammys to take a serious drop.

amazon has both the phillips and sammy players for $600 new right now with free shipping. those should drop within a month or two, my guess is those players will drop under 500
Old 02-15-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
Ok, this is about the 10th time I've read something like this and it has got to be one of the dumbest theorys yet. So your saying Sony should make another version of the Playstation 3, yet remove all gaming aspects of it and focus strictly on movie playback? Thats called a damn stand alone player, oh yea, Sony alreay has one. Take away the gaming and how much will Sony save on the player? $150? $200? If that. So the non-Playstation PS3 would cost oh $600-$650 to make. There you go with a $1000 retail price. Oh, that would be the BDP S1.
Actually, the idea is just like the PS3. take a hit on the unit to expand the brand. So if the 20GB PS3 is selling for $500. Take out some options and sell a Playstation Branded Blu-ray player for just $300? $350? Its almost in the range of the HD-DVD add on except it dosent need the 360 or a PC to play. Yet its more advanced then those. They will also be taking a hit on it but it will help advance Blu-ray and at $300-$350 for example, alot more people will consider Blu-ray and it will also expand the PS brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180 View Post

when the second gen sammy is released Id expect the first gen sammys to take a serious drop.

amazon has both the phillips and sammy players for $600 new right now with free shipping. those should drop within a month or two, my guess is those players will drop under 500
I dont see a huge price drop across the board coming till 2009 but this xmas, expect some great prcies
Old 02-15-2007, 10:19 AM

Thats a really good idea, but I've been thinking about my original question. It seems reasonable that *at the moment* it's not really in Sonys best interests to unveil a cheaper player, since the PS3, while relatively high priced (but not necesserily overpriced) for a game system, is fairly reasonable considering the prices of other HD players. Therefore Sony is fighting two battles on a single front. Everyone who wants a Playstation is also getting a great BR player, and everyone who buys a Playstation as a BR player, is alos getting a great game system. Yes, thats old news, but it seems that it wouldn't be wise to sell a $300-$400 SA unit untill the PS3 reaches saturation with the general public.

There's a pretty good chance my Blu-Ray player will end up being a PS3...
Old 02-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Default Refurbed Sammys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RnB180 View Post
BTW, where can you get refurbished Samsung players?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Banned

Q4/2007 http://www.liteonit.eu/index.php?opt...209&Itemid=124