Consumer Alert for Samsung BD-P1000 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Consumer Alert for Samsung BD-P1000

http://www.dvdtown.com/news/consumer...ayplayers/4303

Quote:
What happens in apparently defective units is that a Blu-ray disc will not load when you insert it and press the open/close button. It takes forever for a line of blue dots to go from left to right across your screen, and then the disc tray will open again with one of the following messages: "No Disc" or "This Disc Cannot Be Played."

At first, both Dean and I thought it was the same sort of problem encountered with DVD players, where CERTAIN discs cannot be played on certain machines. But when I shipped my review copy of "Speed" back to the Fox people and asked for a replacement, the first thing their publicist asked me was what type of player I had. When I told him, he remarked that they've been having a lot of problems with the Samsung players.

Okay, I thought. Either it's the Fox discs and the way that they layer and/or encrypt the material on their discs, or else it's a hardware problem. When discs from Buena Vista, Sony, and Magnolia also started malfunctioning the very same way, I became convinced that the problem was with the player. Dean reached the same conclusion, and now uses a PS-3 to view his Blu-ray discs.
Another reason why I will never buy the current Samsung, too many bad reviews and now problems with loading discs.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:54 PM

Guess the player has deep-rooted problems that even a firmware update can't fix. How much does this turkey go for now, anyway? $599?
Old 02-04-2007, 03:06 PM

In Canada this excellent piece of garbage is going for $999.99 (final clearance!).

BTW, anyone in Toronto interested, this week Future Shop has the Toshiba A2 for $549.99. Good value.

Last edited by dsLV426; 02-04-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM

It makes me wonder if the laser calibrations are simply hyper sensitive, and as they lose calibration over time possibly lose the ability to read the BD data layer? This unit is the BD player that has been out fot the longest period of time and is therefore one of the first tests of long term Blu-ray hardware performance.

Of course, I am speculating on this but it does make me wonder if other players will have similar problems after being in the field for a while.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:25 PM

Samsung have always been a low end manufacturer and there have been numerous law suits over Samsung products in Australia where I live. You get what you pay for with any electronics. I think the Philips machine also priced at $599 would be a wiser choice even though Philips is not a top end manufacturer. If you want reliability you have to pay for it.
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM

Default ...

Quote:
What happens in apparently defective units is that a Blu-ray disc will not load when you insert it and press the open/close button. It takes forever for a line of blue dots to go from left to right across your screen, and then the disc tray will open again with one of the following messages: "No Disc" or "This Disc Cannot Be Played."

At first, both Dean and I thought it was the same sort of problem encountered with DVD players, where CERTAIN discs cannot be played on certain machines. But when I shipped my review copy of "Speed" back to the Fox people and asked for a replacement, the first thing their publicist asked me was what type of player I had. When I told him, he remarked that they've been having a lot of problems with the Samsung players.

Okay, I thought. Either it's the Fox discs and the way that they layer and/or encrypt the material on their discs, or else it's a hardware problem. When discs from Buena Vista, Sony, and Magnolia also started malfunctioning the very same way, I became convinced that the problem was with the player. Dean reached the same conclusion, and now uses a PS-3 to view his Blu-ray discs.
The same thing happened in my Sony BDP-S1 with 'Speed'... It's a well know fact that 'Speed' had playback problems in standalones... It's the disc not the player... Specifically it's the authoring of the disc that's the problem... Same with 'The Descent'...

Both 'Speed' and 'The Descent' work fine in the PS3, however, when playing back in a standalone they either don't play at all (In that case you need a firmware update)... Or they take about three minutes to load (Post firmware update)... All other titles i've encountered work fine...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeonfett View Post
The same thing happened in my Sony BDP-S1 with 'Speed'... It's a well know fact that 'Speed' had playback problems in standalones... It's the disc not the player... Specifically it's the authoring of the disc that's the problem... Same with 'The Descent'...

Both 'Speed' and 'The Descent' work fine in the PS3, however, when playing back in a standalone they either don't play at all (In that case you need a firmware update)... Or they take about three minutes to load (Post firmware update)... All other titles i've encountered work fine...
Yeah, I remember you reporting this some time back. But it sounds like they are getting it with a number of discs:

Quote:
When discs from Buena Vista, Sony, and Magnolia also started malfunctioning the very same way, I became convinced that the problem was with the player. Dean reached the same conclusion, and now uses a PS-3 to view his Blu-ray discs.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Moving to BD Hardware.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
Samsung have always been a low end manufacturer
So has Toshiba actually.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzap64 View Post
Samsung have always been a low end manufacturer

But Samsung does make the best 1080p LCD's available, my Sony 46in XBR2 has a Samsung LCD in it. Likely the best 46 in LCD TV you can buy currently.