upscaling problem with Sony Blu-Ray player - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Default upscaling problem with Sony Blu-Ray player

Had this posted in HD-DVD hardware forum area by mistake. Let's try this again:

I have both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players, the Toshiba HD-AX2 and Sony Blu-Ray. Anybody want to help me pay for them? I'm in hock to Crutchfield for 2Gs for that equipment lol.

I love both units but I have a little bit of a problem with the Sony. Maybe somebody can help me.

When I play a reg SD DVD on the Sony and have it upconverted thru HDMI to 1080i, I get the black bars on all 4 sides, not just the top and bottom. So it doesnt look good that way. I'm using a Sony 32" HD-ready 4X3 Wega tube set. I know, a dinosaur, but I only bought it 2 yrs ago and it does have great pic quality. Now if I play the same SD DVD on the Toshiba it upscales correctly, bars on top and bottom only.

This upscaling thing isnt really a big deal i guess because I can just use the Toshiba which most likely has a little better SD thru HDMI pic quality anyway. But I still would like to know why the Sony has the 4 bars on an upscaling SD DVD at 1080i.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM

well now i dont personally own the xa2 but from what iv heard and read online, i wouldnt even use the sony for upscaling and use the toshiba since it has a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more advanced scaler chip than the sony. i was never impressed with that upconversion in the sony anyway.