I've had it with the war..Any blu ray advice? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM

Default I've had it with the war..Any blu ray advice?

You know this use to be kind of fun when it first started who had the best player etc etc. Now as a consumer its just really really really annoying after a year and no winner. I bought a HD DVD player when they came out and am overjoyed with it however now with Spiderman and other things coming out and no end in sight I want to get a blu ray player and dont want to spend a 1000.00 for a combo player because I already have an HD DVD player. Could any kind people in the blu ray camp suggest a decent player either out now or up and coming for the holidays. I dont want to spend over 500.00 if possible because between the blu ray and hd dvd player I already bought for 500.00 that would equal the cost of a combo player. Thanks for any help.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLORADOHDMAN View Post
You know this use to be kind of fun when it first started who had the best player etc etc. Now as a consumer its just really really really annoying after a year and no winner. I bought a HD DVD player when they came out and am overjoyed with it however now with Spiderman and other things coming out and no end in sight I want to get a blu ray player and dont want to spend a 1000.00 for a combo player because I already have an HD DVD player. Could any kind people in the blu ray camp suggest a decent player either out now or up and coming for the holidays. I dont want to spend over 500.00 if possible because between the blu ray and hd dvd player I already bought for 500.00 that would equal the cost of a combo player. Thanks for any help.
I went neutral not even a month ago. If you want a gaming machine and a BD player get the PS3.

If you don't care about the pfofile 1.1 get the Samsung BD-1400. I paid $428.00 but you may get it cheaper for the holidays. It's a solid player.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 PM

Hell even if you want it just for movies ps3 is still the way to go, it does all the audio formats and its the cheapest blu ray player you can get as far as i know
Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 AM

PS3 is the way to go. I think there are some deals out there for a $399 PS3 with 7 or 8 free movies. Check the Bargains forum.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM

Dtto, ditto, ditto.... the PS3 is the BD player to have. It does so much more and has arguably the best overall image quality.

I went neutral via PS3 about 2 months ago and couldnt be happier.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM

Sorry, PS3 is definitely not the way to go anymore. the new Panasonic player provides far superior pq. If you are not a gamer, there is 0 reason to get a ps3 as a Blu-ray player anymore imo. It is the cheapest player still, but that's about it. Of course, nobody on here will ever agree with this assessment, but it's just simple fact now. Outside of hdd, no-one would dispute this for a second anymore. not with all the other bd players being released. Look ps3 had it's day in the sun as far as a bd player. Those days are over now.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:28 PM

Samsung BD-P1200 if you can get it. It has the Reon chip which will up convert sd dvd's to darn near HD quality. If not, then the new Samsung BD-P1400, which I hear and have read is very good too, but no Reon chip. But it will decode the newer codecs if you have a newer reciever that decodes those thru HDMI.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
Sorry, PS3 is definitely not the way to go anymore. the new Panasonic player provides far superior pq. If you are not a gamer, there is 0 reason to get a ps3 as a Blu-ray player anymore imo. It is the cheapest player still, but that's about it. Of course, nobody on here will ever agree with this assessment, but it's just simple fact now. Outside of hdd, no-one would dispute this for a second anymore. not with all the other bd players being released. Look ps3 had it's day in the sun as far as a bd player. Those days are over now.
Hogwash.

"While the DMP-BD30's Blu-ray image quality is excellent, we wouldn't say that it's necessarily better than other top-performing Blu-ray players. In fact, as along as the player is capable of properly performing 1080i deinterlacing, we've seen virtually no performance differences between Blu-ray players, including the PlayStation 3."

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-player...-32730548.html
Old 11-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Well, I don't see where it's been mentioned befor but try the PS3
Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Formerly MrENGLISH

PS3 is the way to go. BD-J loads super fast when compared to other BD players. You never hear about playback issues with the PS3, unlike other BD players. If BD playback is all you care about, go with the 40gb PS3.