BDP-S300 Firmware 3.20 Available - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM

Default BDP-S300 Firmware 3.30 Available

Firmware v3.30:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/swu...=BDPS300&LOC=3

Quote:
This utility updates the BDP-S300 firmware to version 3.30, and provides the following benefits:

Improvements over firmware version 3.20:

Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.

Additional improvements over original firmware:

Compatibility with the newly released BD-R/RE format (BDMV).
Improves BD-Java compatibility to enhance interactivity with some BD-ROMs.

Last edited by venom5liter; 11-20-2007 at 06:44 PM. Reason: New Firmware Release
Old 11-07-2007, 01:30 AM

For Australian BDP-S300 owners - I have just installed the 3.20 firmware on my Australian player...

So far I have played the following SD DVD's (marked as Region 4) successfully:
- Summer Heights High
- Finding Nemo
- The Day After Tomorrow

I have also successfully played the following Blu-ray discs purchased in Australia:
- Planet of the Apes
- Ice Age 2
- Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
- X-men 3

I have also tested the following imports from the US:
- Scary Movie
- The Terminator

It seems this firmware is really for all players. Having said that, despite my success... others might not be so lucky (I don't see any reason why not though), so, if you are going to attempt this - do so at your own risk.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:07 AM

Hello,
I am the owner of a US Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray Disc Player (2.60 firmware version). Sony USA has released a 3.20 firmware upgrade to this player. Unfortunately I can not burn it on a DVD (I have no DVD drive with disc burning capability) and Sony does not ship DVDs with the update outside the US (I live in Italy). So I would be grateful if someone who owns such upgrade could ship it to me. Needless to say, I would pay for all expenses (Paypal).
Thanks for your attention
Old 11-16-2007, 09:56 AM

The firmware can be burned to a CD. Despite what it says on Sony's site, you do not need to burn it to a DVD.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 PM

Well, I hate to sound stupid but I bought a Sony S300 BD player about a month ago. Having just read this thread about a firmware update I ran into a dilemma of sorts:

a) My computer system is a Mac and the only firmware upgrades from the link in the first post are for Windows.

b) I have no idea what version firmware is currently in my S300. The owner's manual has absolutely no reference to this or how to determine which version is being used.

So, my questions are How do I find out which firmware version is presently in my S300, and how do I upgrade since I only use a Mac? Do I have to have Sony send me a disc with the upgrade on it? I hope they supply directions as to how to install the new firmware upgrade.

Brad
Old 11-17-2007, 09:24 PM

OK, through some exploring the Sony website I found out how to determine which FW version I have and it's 2.10 so I need to upgrade, I guess.

For laughs I downloaded the FW upgrade and it loaded on my Mac desktop as a zipped .EXE file which my computer cannot either unzip or read.

Can I burn the .EXE zip file onto a CD and upgrade that way or do I need to have Sony send me out a DVD with the upgrade on it? Thanks in advance.

Brad
Old 11-18-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradster View Post
Can I burn the .EXE zip file onto a CD and upgrade that way or do I need to have Sony send me out a DVD with the upgrade on it? Thanks in advance.
You need to UnZIP the file and burn it to disc as an ISO.

A CD will work. You don't actually need to burn to a DVD, contrary to what the Sony site says.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:33 PM

Thanks, Josh, but my Mac won't let me unzip an .EXE file. I requested an upgrade disc from Sony.

Brad
Old 11-20-2007, 06:45 PM

Updated post above to reflect v3.30 firmware just released.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You need to UnZIP the file and burn it to disc as an ISO.

A CD will work. You don't actually need to burn to a DVD, contrary to what the Sony site says.
How do you burn an .iso of a DVD on a CD?