HDMI Connection help - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Default HDMI Connection help

I recently purchased a PS3 assuming that I would be able to connect HD rather easily as I already have an HD TiVo unit & Xbox 360 HD player hooked up.

My 360 is hooked up through VGA & works great! My TiVo is hooked up through component and works fine also.

The bad news is that I don't have an HDMI connection on my TV, I do however have a DVI connection that I have hooked up to a Toshiba upconverting DVD player using a HDMI->DVI cable. So, I know that this cable/connection works.

When I hook it up to my PS3, I get no picture. I have tried everything from connecting the composite cable first and then connecting the HDMI->DVI cable but nothing works. I even tried another HDMI-DVI cable, nada. I cannot use a HDMI cable with an adapter as it won't fit under my TV were the connections are.

So, I purchased the PS3 component cable to @ least get HD through an analog connection but I would really like to use my DVI connection, if possible, any other suggestions or reasons why this doesn't work?

Old 11-02-2007, 08:09 AM

I did a quick search on google and found a thread where several people were complaining about hdmi->dvi not working. It appears the problem might be one of two things. Your TV doesnt accept HDCP or the TV's native resolution isnt one the PS3 recognizes.

Here's the link if you want to read further.

http://forum.gefen.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1241
Old 11-02-2007, 11:14 AM

Thanks, I will check it out. My TV is listed as having a DVI-HDCP input connection, so I should be all good there.